The expected competition at right guard between John Jerry and Lance Louis hasn’t materialized because Louis is still recovering from a knee injury sustained last November when he played for the Chicago Bears.
Louis said Wednesday he hasn’t participated in any 11-on-11 team drills during the first four days of camp but expects to soon. “I feel pretty good,” he said. “I want to make sure I’m fully ready to go.”
Jerry has logged most of the snaps with the first team, but it was backup center Josh Samuda who got first-team work at right guard during the final 11-on-11 session Wednesday.
Jerry is listed at 335 pounds — 10 pounds less than he weighed earlier this offseason — and said “I’m way ahead in conditioning. It’s like night and day.”
Coach Joe Philbin said Jerry is “performing well” but “really needs to get that consistency.” Philbin said Louis “is going to get a fair, honest evaluation when he’s physically capable.”
PLAYS OF THE DAY
• Ryan Tannehill threw his first touchdown of training camp in 11-on-11 drills, connecting with Rishard Matthews during a red zone segment.
• There were two other touchdown passes during 11-on-11 work, also both inside the red zone: Matt Moore to Brian Hartline (beating Richard Marshall) and Pat Devlin to Michael Egnew, who also dropped a pass Wednesday. … Others with drops: Mike Wallace, Marvin McNutt, Mike Gillislee and Chad Bumphis.
• Receiver Armon Binns made two outstanding catches — one from Devlin, another on a beautiful pass from Tannehill. And there were two impressive one-handed receptions — by Jorvorskie Lane and Marcus Thigpen.
• Jared Odrick had two sacks, Will Davis deflected his third pass in two days and Dimitri Patterson had several good plays in coverage.
• Defensive end Dion Jordan participated in special teams drills — which involved some light contact while blocking on returns — but did not play any snaps on defense during team drills. Jordan, who had shoulder surgery in February, hopes to begin doing those drills very soon.
“We thought he was moving around well [Tuesday],” Philbin said. “He’s picking things up relatively well.”
• Rookie cornerback Jamar Taylor was sidelined for the second day in a row because of lingering soreness from his sports hernia surgery in May.
• Undrafted rookie running back Cameron Marshall appeared to pull a hamstring during a kickoff drill and did not return.
• Randy Starks remained with the second team at defensive tackle. … Jason Trusnik, Austin Spitler and Jonathan Freeny have been working as the second-team linebackers. … Rookie Dallas Thomas, who had been working on the left side (at guard and tackle), received snaps at right tackle.
• Philbin said left tackle Jonathan Martin has good technique but “he needs to work on his punch a little bit better.”
“No question, in my mind, he can be an elite quarterback, one of the best in the NFL,”
— tight end Dustin Keller, on Ryan Tannehill.
PRACTICE DATES AND TIMES
ThursdayTeam is off.
(at team facility in Davie)
(at team facility; open only to season-ticket holders)
(at team facility; open only to Fin Club members)
(at Sun Life Stadium)