The National Hotel’s renovation endangered guests during renovations and not following a construction plan laid out in the permitting process, according to a report by Miami Beach inspectors who ordered the oceanfront hotel to close.
The National shut down earlier this month after being declared unsafe by Miami Beach. The closure became public this week when state regulators posted mass lay-off notices for the 74 workers at the 154-room hotel at 1677 Collins Ave.
Under renovation for years, the National is accused of performing more extensive work than what it got approved by city inspectors, according to the inspection report released Wednesday by Miami Beach.
City inspectors met with hotel executives on Wed., July 10 to “discuss safety concerns present in building due to construction,’’ the report read. Saying the contractor did not follow approved building plans, the report added: “the problems cannot be fixed quickly and safety of occupants cannot be guaranteed.”
The fire marshal ordered the building closed by noon of that Friday, July 12. General Manager Jacques Roy said this week that the hotel will reopen, but he could not be reached for comment late Wednesday afternoon. The National’s website was only accepting reservations for dates after August 15.
There was no mention of the hotel’s closure on its website, and a reservations clerk answering its 800 reservations number, which is staffed off-site, was still trying to book guests Wednesday night. No rooms were available, the operator said. An operator at the front desk said all rooms were “sold out” for the weekend.