Kicker Dan Carpenter was given all four field-goal attempts during Tuesdays practice and made three of them. He kicked a 52-yarder but came up well short on one from 54 yards. Carpenter is now 12 for 14 in training camp during practice sessions that have been open to the public and media.
His competition, Caleb Sturgis, has 2 of 3, all coming Monday.
PLAYS OF THE DAY
• Safety Chris Clemons jumped in front of Dustin Keller to pick off a Ryan Tannehill pass and returned it for a touchdown.
• Linebackers Philip Wheeler and Dannell Ellerbe were extremely active. Ellerbe had an interception against Tannehill, broke up a pass to Daniel Thomas and knocked down a Tannehill pass.
Wheeler had a would-be sack on a blitz and was decent in pass coverage. Linebackers Koa Misi and Josh Kaddu also had some good moments.
• Rookie cornerback Will Davis made two impressive pass deflections, both against receiver Armon Binns.
• Safety Jimmy Wilson cut in front of Binns and picked off a Matt Moore pass, setting up a long return.
• Mike Wallace, Binns and Brian Tyms dropped passes, and Brian Hartline dropped a punt.
• Vaughn Martin, who has working at defensive end but also can play tackle, continues to look good early in camp. He had a would-be sack against Moore and also tipped a pass by Moore.
• Lance Louis, still working his way back from a knee injury in November, hasnt taken any first-team snaps. John Jerry remains the starter at right guard, and Texas A&M rookie Brian Thomas has been getting a lot of work on the second team.
• Wilson and Kelcie McCray have been working as second-team safeties behind Reshad Jones and Clemons, who were both very good Tuesday.
• Besides Martin, Derrick Shelby has been the other second-team defensive end, behind starters Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon.
• Brent Grimes defended himself after a picture surfaced on the Internet that featured a sexual act being depicted on the front of a cake that Grimes received for his 30th birthday this weekend.
The people that are offended about a cake that was brought to a party by a friend as a joke need to chill, Grimes said on Twitter. I guess we were supposed to tell our friend to, take your cake and get the hell out of our house. LOL. My bad.
The Dolphins will participate in a Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Aug. 16 at the Hilton in downtown Miami. Dolphins players and coaches will attend and answer questions from emcees Jimmy Cefalo, Joe Rose and Kim Bokamper. Cost is $125 per person, and tickets are available at dolphins.com/lunch.
Paul loves painting the side of peoples heads. Good to see the dread on peoples faces.
Jared Odrick, on Paul Soliai bleaching the heads of Dion Jordan and two other rookies.
PRACTICE DATES AND TIMES
Friday 8 a.m.
(Season-ticket holders only)
(Fin Club members only)
Note: All the practices the rest of the week will be held at the teams facility in Davie. Mondays 7 p.m. practice will be at Sun Life Stadium. All are free.