Pembroke Pines

Robber killed by BSO deputies during Pembroke Pines stakeout

 

ldixon@MiamiHerald.com

A tip leading police to stake out a Pembroke Pines business plaza led to the shooting death of an armed robber Thursday afternoon.

The ski-masked suspect, a 23-year-old man, was shot by a Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy about 3 p.m. after being surprised as he tried to pull-off a hold-up at an AllState Insurance office, at the 1400 block of South Palm Avenue

Confronted inside the store by waiting deputies, BSO said the man refused orders to drop his weapon and the deputies opened fire, killing him.

The suspect went down the path of non-compliance,” said BSO Sheriff Scott Israel, who came to the scene.

Neither the name of the dead man nor the deputies involved has been released. It’s unclear how many deputies opened fire.

BSO said it all began earlier this week when they were tipped off by a confidential informant about a planned robbery at a plaza business on Thursday. BSO cleared out several business in the shopping plaza and staked them out.

As the tip indicated, the man, entered the business in mid-afternoon and pulled out a gun.

Read more Broward stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
During Florida Superson July 3-6 at the Miami Beach Convention Center, Richard Horvitz (right) took a photo of an excited friend (left) with Bill Farmer (middle) who is the voice of Goofy and Pluto.

    Celebs enjoy Florida Supercon as much as fans

    The ninth annual Florida Supercon was definitely the place to be, if interested in reminiscing, people watching or embracing ‘your’ inner geekness.

  •  
Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue’s hazardous materials team responds to a gas leak at Croissant Park, 245 West Park Drive, Thursday morning.

    Underground gas leak temporarily closes Croissant Park early Thursday

    An underground gas leak led to the temporary closure of a Fort Lauderdale pool and park Thursday morning.

  • www.miamiherald.com/live

    Livestream: Opposition leaders discuss Venezuela’s crisis, future

    Beset by growing popular discontent and an economy in ruins, Venezuela’s Bolivarian Revolution faces one of the toughest times in its 15-year history, raising doubts about whether its socialist leader, President Nicolás Maduro, will be able to complete the remaining five years of his six-year term. That uncertainty, whose outcome could have a dramatic impact on the rest of Latin America, will be the focus of a forum on Friday co-hosted by el Nuevo Herald and the Association of Venezuelan Journalists Abroad (APEVEX).

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category