Monroe County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a truck fire that may have been intentionally set as the owner slept while the vehicle was parked outside a Marathon bar early Friday.
The victim, Jose Gonzales, 52, was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center.
The fire broke out around 3:43 a.m. at the Dog House bar at 107th Street in Marathon, according to the sheriff’s office.
Major Crimes Detective Manny Cuervo said it appears Gonzales was inside the cab of his work truck, possibly sleeping, when someone appears to have lit the truck on fire by tipping over a gas can and igniting the fuel.
Inside the truck was a generator and a tank of diesel fuel, which sparked several explosions as the truck burned.
The initial call came from a person at the bar. The caller said they were trying to evacuate everyone from the bar just in case the fire spread.
Investigation continues. The sheriff’s office Major Crimes Unit and the fire marshals office are working on the case.