UK: No public inquiry over Litvinenko poisoning

 
 
FILE - Marina Litvinenko, the widow of former Russian intelligence officer Alexander Litvinenko, arrives for the first day of a scheduled two-day Pre-Inquest Review at Camden Town Hall in London, in this Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012 file photo. British officials have refused to hold a public inquiry into the death of Russian intelligence officer Alexander Litvinenko, a coroner said Friday, July 12, 2013, quashing what he described as the best hope of finding out what lay behind the high-profile poisoning. Robert Owen said the government turned down his request for an inquiry, adding that it was now unclear when or even if his inquest could begin.
FILE - Marina Litvinenko, the widow of former Russian intelligence officer Alexander Litvinenko, arrives for the first day of a scheduled two-day Pre-Inquest Review at Camden Town Hall in London, in this Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012 file photo. British officials have refused to hold a public inquiry into the death of Russian intelligence officer Alexander Litvinenko, a coroner said Friday, July 12, 2013, quashing what he described as the best hope of finding out what lay behind the high-profile poisoning. Robert Owen said the government turned down his request for an inquiry, adding that it was now unclear when or even if his inquest could begin.
Matt Dunham, File / AP Photo

Associated Press

British officials have refused to hold a public inquiry into the death of former Russian intelligence officer Alexander Litvinenko, a coroner said Friday, quashing what he described as the best hope of finding out what lay behind the ex-spy's radioactive poisoning.

Litvinenko's widow, who blames the Kremlin for her husband's death, accused Britain of putting relations with Russia ahead of uncovering the truth.

"It looks like a very political decision, what happened today," Marina Litvinenko said outside London's Royal Courts of Justice.

"I still have a very long way to get justice."

Coroner Robert Owen told a court hearing that the government informed him Friday that it was turning down his request for an inquiry, but had not given reasons.

Owen is overseeing a long-delayed inquest into the death of Litvinenko, a KGB agent-turned-Kremlin critic who died in November 2006 after drinking tea laced with the radioactive isotope polonium-210 at a London hotel.

Britain accuses two Russians of the killing, but Moscow refuses to extradite them.

Lawyers for Litvinenko's family say he was working for Britain's intelligence services when he died, and claim the Kremlin ordered his killing.

Coroners typically hold inquests in public to determine the facts behind a violent or unexpected death, but the national security considerations surrounding Litvinenko's killing led Britain's government to bar Owen from considering sensitive evidence.

Owen has said the secrecy restrictions meant that his inquest would be effectively powerless to determine whether the Russian state was involved in Litvinenko's killing and whether Britain's intelligence services could have done more to prevent it.

Marina Litvinenko, the coroner and a group of British media companies have all called for a separate inquiry, arguing that an independent investigation outside the inquest process would have a better chance of finding out the truth - for example because an inquiry might be able to consider classified material in private.

Marina Litvinenko's lawyer, Ben Emmerson, lashed out at the British government over the decision, accusing it of showing "utter contempt" for her family and for the inquest.

"The disrespect with which Her Majesty's Government has treated this court is of course a matter of grave concern," Emmerson said.

He said the Litvinenko family had been "treated in the ultimate shabby way by this administration" and said Marina would try to challenge the government decision in court.

Emmerson asked Owen to consider doing the same, saying Marino Litvinenko was not receiving legal aid and could face financial ruin if she lost a court challenge to the government.

Owen did not indicate what he would do next, but said his oft-postponed inquest would not begin as planned on Oct. 2.

"The timetable is now out of my control," the coroner said.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • A month after U.S. pledged more help, Syrian rebels in worse shape

    A month after the Obama administration pledged stepped-up support for Syria’s armed opposition, the government of President Bashar Assad’s position has improved, with U.S. assistance to the rebels apparently stalled and deadly rifts opening among the forces battling to topple the Assad regime.

  •  
Supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi during demonstrations demanding he be reinstated

    Hundreds of thousands rally for Morsi in latest battle of street protests

    Supporters of Mohammed Morsi rallied on behalf of the ousted president Friday in their biggest demonstrations since he was removed from office, part of a strategy to get him reinstated by using the same means that forced his removal: mass protests.

  •  
In this image provided by Human Rights Watch, NSA leaker Edward Snowden, center, attends a news conference at Moscow's Sheremetyevo Airport with Sarah Harrison of WikiLeaks, left, Friday, July 12, 2013. Snowden wants to seek asylum in Russia, according to a Parliament member who was among about a dozen activists and officials to meet with him Friday in the Moscow airport where he's been marooned for weeks. Duma member Vyacheslav Nikonov told reporters of Snowden's intentions after the meeting behind closed doors in the transit zone of Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport. (AP Photo/Human Rights Watch, Tanya Lokshina)

    Edward Snowden reportedly vows no more leaks as he seeks asylum in Russia

    Acknowledging that he’s trapped in a Moscow airport by the ability of the United States and its European allies to force to the ground nearly any aircraft he boards, fugitive National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden asked Russia on Friday to grant him temporary asylum, promising, apparently, that he was finished leaking information about U.S. government programs.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category