Portuguese leaders seeking economic consensus

 

Associated Press

Portugal's main political parties pledged Friday to try to negotiate a joint economic strategy that aims to spare the country a second international bailout.

But the obstacles to an agreement were clear during the annual State of the Nation debate in Parliament as parties traded accusations over who is to blame for the financial crisis and 10 straight quarters of economic contraction.

Portugal's president appealed to the parties Wednesday to find broad political consensus after a dispute over austerity measures tore the coalition government apart and raised questions about whether the country can abide by the terms of the 78 billion euros ($102 billion) rescue it received two years ago.

Portugal's difficulties over the past two weeks sent a chill through financial markets as investors feared that Europe's debt crisis could flare up again. In recent months, there had been signs that the 17 European Union countries that use the euro, including Portugal, had got over the worst of their three-year debt problems.

The political upheaval in Lisbon has forced the postponement of the bailout lenders' latest assessment on the country, which was due to begin next week but is now due to take place at the end of August.

As in Greece, the debt inspectors have to assess whether Portugal is complying with the terms of the bailout agreement - in return for the loan, Portugal has to enact a long list of spending cuts and economic reforms. If it doesn't, the creditors can potentially stop disbursing the money due from the bailout fund.

Though Portugal has enough cash to see it through the end of this year, it has to issue bonds worth 14 billion euros and 15 billion euros in 2014 and 2015, respectively, to service maturing loans. The three major international ratings agencies still classify Portugal's credit worthiness at junk status.

The political uncertainty took its toll on the Lisbon stock exchange which closed down 1.1 percent Friday at 5,364, after losing 2 percent the previous day. The interest rate on Portugal's 10-year bonds, an indicator of how risky investors see the country, climbed to 7.38 percent from 6.79 percent Thursday. A rate of more than 7 percent is regarded as unaffordable and exceeding that threshold compelled Portugal to seek a financial lifeline from its euro partners and International Monetary Fund.

President Anibal Cavaco Silva, who has no executive powers but is tasked by the constitution with ensuring stable government, said the ruling coalition had lost its credibility after last week's resignations of the finance and foreign ministers in a spat over the scale of planned spending cuts.

Saying a snap election would make things worse, Cavaco Silva urged the three main parties to find common ground on financial policy which would last beyond the end of the bailout program in June 2014. That, he said, would restore the political stability financial markets want.

Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho told lawmakers during Friday's debate that parties must "put Portugal first" and thrash out a cross-party agreement.

"To reach a deal we just need to focus on the country's needs and the common interests of the Portuguese," he said.

Though conceding that it "won't be easy to get a credible and long-lasting agreement," he said a lot can be achieved "if we just compromise."

Antonio Jose Seguro, leader of the main opposition Socialist Party, agreed to take part in talks but was sharply critical of the government's record and repeated his view that the best solution would be immediate elections for a new government.

He said the government "is in a state of decomposition," telling the prime minister he should "apologize to the Portuguese for the failure of his policies."

The prime minister's Social Democratic Party, the senior partner in the coalition, and Portugal's bailout creditors say spending cuts must continue.

Other parties want a bigger emphasis on growth amid a 17.6 percent unemployment rate.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi during demonstrations demanding he be reinstated

    Hundreds of thousands rally for Morsi in latest battle of street protests

    Supporters of Mohammed Morsi rallied on behalf of the ousted president Friday in their biggest demonstrations since he was removed from office, part of a strategy to get him reinstated by using the same means that forced his removal: mass protests.

  •  
This June 9, 2013 photo provided by The Guardian newspaper in London shows Edward Snowden, who worked as a contract employee at the U.S. National Security Agency, in Hong Kong.

    Edward Snowden reportedly vows no more leaks as he seeks asylum in Russia

    Acknowledging that he’s trapped in a Moscow airport by the ability of the United States and its European allies to force to the ground nearly any aircraft he boards, fugitive National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden asked Russia on Friday to grant him temporary asylum, promising, apparently, that he was finished leaking information about U.S. government programs.

  •  
FILE - In this Friday, July 5, 2013 file photo, journalists film an Egyptian military attack helicopter flies by the Presidential palace, in Cairo, Egypt. State-run news organizations and independent TV stations and newspapers have enthusiastically backed the military and its crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood, which included shutting down four Islamist TV stations. Their full-throated support reflects how convinced they became over President Mohammed Morsi’s year that the Brotherhood were fundamentally anti-democratic and intertwined with violent extremists.

    Egypt's media embrace military after Morsi ouster

    When autocrat Hosni Mubarak fell after popular protests in 2011, journalist Sabah Hamamou hoped for change at her newspaper, Al-Ahram, the state-owned media flagship with an editorial line firmly controlled by the regime.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category