Author convicted in Ariz. sweat lodge deaths freed

 

Similar stories:

  • 12 forgotten facts about the King assassination

  • Defense witnesses say 911 screams were George Zimmerman’s

  • UK: Toddler killer Jon Venables granted parole

  • For Evangelicals, God serves as therapist

  • Ohio store: Escaped inmate used phone, was tackled

Associated Press

An author who saw his self-help business crash after he led a sweat lodge ceremony that left three people dead was paroled from prison on Friday after serving nearly two years for negligent homicide convictions.

James Arthur Ray, 55, was freed from the state prison in Buckeye, near Phoenix. Nothing in his conditions of release prohibits him from holding self-help seminars or conducting another sweat lodge ceremony, but his brother said Ray has no immediate plans to resurrect his business.

However, Jon Ray didn't rule out the possibility in the future, maintaining the deaths weren't his brother's fault.

"At this point, he wants to get out and hide out, and start putting his life back together, which has been completely turned upside down," he told The Associated Press earlier this week. "I say that with all due respect because I know a lot of people's lives have been turned upside down because of this unfortunate incident."

The tragedy occurred after dozens of people traveled to a scenic retreat just outside Sedona in October 2009 for James Arthur Ray's five-day "Spiritual Warrior" event.

The sweat lodge was the culminating event, touted as "hellacious hot" and a chance for participants to have powerful breakthroughs.

Things started going wrong about halfway through the two-hour ceremony. When it was over, 38-year-old Kirby Brown of Westtown, N.Y., and 40-year-old James Shore of Milwaukee were dead, and 18 others injured.

Liz Neuman, 49, of Prior Lake, Minn., slipped into a coma and died after more than a week in the hospital.

At trial, prosecutors said Ray ratcheted up the heat to dangerous levels, ignored pleas for help, and watched as overcome participants were dragged out of the sweat lodge.

A jury acquitted him of more serious manslaughter charges and convicted him of negligent homicide. He served 85 percent of the concurrent two-year terms for each of the deaths. Ray has appealed the convictions, alleging that errors by the prosecution tainted the case.

Ray has acknowledged that he was responsible for the deaths but offered no excuses for his lack of action as the chaos unfolded at the sweat lodge. He and his attorneys said Ray would have stopped the ceremony had he known people were dying or in distress.

The defense centered its case on the possibility that toxins or poisons contributed to the deaths.

None of the victims' families believes that 20 months was a sufficient sentence. They have said they would rather not see Ray in the self-help industry, or he should at least be more accountable for his actions.

Members of Neuman's family meet regularly to talk about her, share memories and vent feelings of frustration and anger - a lot of which is aimed at Ray, said her daughter, Andrea Puckett. The birth of Puckett's two children and her brother's wedding are among the events made bittersweet by the loss of Neuman, she said.

"Ideally, we don't want him (Ray) doing anything in the industry anymore," Puckett said. "I don't think he has the right to work with people. If he does move forward with that, I hope people become aware of what he did and he changes the way that he handles his seminars and his teachings."

Brown's mother, Virginia, has quit her full-time job to focus on the nonprofit group called SEEK Safely that the family formed to help others avoid such a tragedy. This week, she was busy reaching out to people in the self-help industry asking them to commit to basic standards to ensure practitioners are truthful, act with integrity, and respect the people who choose to follow them - something she said Ray failed to do.

Associated Press writer Brian Skoloff in Buckeye, Ariz., contributed to this report

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • The arguments Zimmerman jurors are considering

    Jurors deciding whether George Zimmerman committed second-degree murder when he fatally shot Trayvon Martin deliberated for three and half hours Friday before adjourning for the night with a plan to continue Saturday morning.

  • Affidavit: Man using rifle as crutch when it fired

    An Oregon man told police he was using his assault rifle as a crutch to help him get up from a couch at a friend's apartment when it fired a burst through the ceiling and killed a little girl upstairs, court records show.

  • Zimmerman's brother calls for peace, respect

    Here's a statement from Robert Zimmerman, the brother of George Zimmerman, who is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26, 2012, in Sanford, Fla.:

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category