Accused of rape, China general's son plays victim

 
 
In this April 23, 2009 photo, Li Shuangjiang, a military singer who holds the rank of general, attends a launch ceremony of the 7th China Gold Record Award in Beijing.  Lawyers of the well-known Chinese general's son accused of taking part in a gang rape are waging a rare, Western-style war of words against his critics in a reflection of the growing perception that public opinion counts. (AP Photo) CHINA OUT
In this April 23, 2009 photo, Li Shuangjiang, a military singer who holds the rank of general, attends a launch ceremony of the 7th China Gold Record Award in Beijing. Lawyers of the well-known Chinese general's son accused of taking part in a gang rape are waging a rare, Western-style war of words against his critics in a reflection of the growing perception that public opinion counts. (AP Photo) CHINA OUT
AP

Associated Press

Lawyers of a well-known Chinese general's son accused of taking part in a gang rape are waging a rare, Western-style war of words against his critics in a reflection of the growing perception that public opinion counts.

The airing of accusations surrounding the high-profile criminal case via the Chinese Internet has been all the more unusual because the teenage defendant is a member of one of China's wealthy and privileged families, who usually prefer to bury salacious scandals - if they can.

Li Tianyi, 17, the photogenic, baby-faced son of Li Shuangjiang, 72, a military singer who holds the rank of general, has become the newest target of popular anger over abuses of power by the country's elite.

"At the moment, public opinion is not on Li Tianyi and his family's side," said Zhan Jiang, a journalism professor at Beijing Foreign Studies University. "China's public mood is this way when some wealthy or powerful people are involved and the opposing side is a weaker victim," he said.

"It's a protest against Chinese society's lack of fairness," Zhan added.

Since news of his detention in the gang rape of a woman at a Beijing hotel emerged in February, pictures of him and his family have been splashed across Chinese media and websites. The case surfaced after the alleged victim told police that some men she had been drinking with at a bar took her to a hotel and took turns raping her.

This week, just days after state media reported that Li and four others have been charged with rape, Li's attorney Chen Shu said in an interview with the official Legal Daily newspaper that his client would plead not guilty, a report that incited a storm of renewed criticism.

The lawyers also circulated a statement online pointing blame at the unnamed Beijing bar for allowing underage teenagers to consume alcohol. "This case happened after a minor and others who were in a bar late at night were persuaded by adult bartenders to drink large quantities of alcohol, and then checked into a hotel," the statement said.

This prompted the victim's lawyer to issue a statement saying that Li's lawyers' comments caused her great "grief and indignation" on top of all she had already been through and that she had also endured threats after the incident. The victim's identity has not been reported.

"The victim was wantonly beaten, insulted, and offended by Li and the others when she was isolated and helpless," the lawyer Tian Canjun said on his blog, accusing Li of threatening the victim to stop her from reporting the case. "The victim lived in great fear and helplessness for two days and nights, afraid to tell anyone."

Many news commentators also criticized the boy's lawyers' statement. "Not a single word in the statement mentioned the failure of the boy's guardians, instead it's the entertainment venue's fault, or the hotel's, and the adult men and women who accompanied him in drinking or persuaded him to drink. The whole thing gives the impression to people that everyone else is guilty, only Li is innocent," said a commentary in the state-run China Youth Daily.

The strategy adopted by Li's lawyers reflects an increasing recognition that public opinion might have the power to indirectly sway some court decisions. Courts are controlled by the Communist Party and verdicts in many cases, particularly high-profile ones, have to be approved by the party's local politics and legal committees.

Associated Press researcher Flora Ji contributed to this report.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi during demonstrations demanding he be reinstated

    Hundreds of thousands rally for Morsi in latest battle of street protests

    Supporters of Mohammed Morsi rallied on behalf of the ousted president Friday in their biggest demonstrations since he was removed from office, part of a strategy to get him reinstated by using the same means that forced his removal: mass protests.

  •  
This June 9, 2013 photo provided by The Guardian newspaper in London shows Edward Snowden, who worked as a contract employee at the U.S. National Security Agency, in Hong Kong.

    Edward Snowden reportedly vows no more leaks as he seeks asylum in Russia

    Acknowledging that he’s trapped in a Moscow airport by the ability of the United States and its European allies to force to the ground nearly any aircraft he boards, fugitive National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden asked Russia on Friday to grant him temporary asylum, promising, apparently, that he was finished leaking information about U.S. government programs.

  •  
FILE - In this Friday, July 5, 2013 file photo, journalists film an Egyptian military attack helicopter flies by the Presidential palace, in Cairo, Egypt. State-run news organizations and independent TV stations and newspapers have enthusiastically backed the military and its crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood, which included shutting down four Islamist TV stations. Their full-throated support reflects how convinced they became over President Mohammed Morsi’s year that the Brotherhood were fundamentally anti-democratic and intertwined with violent extremists.

    Egypt's media embrace military after Morsi ouster

    When autocrat Hosni Mubarak fell after popular protests in 2011, journalist Sabah Hamamou hoped for change at her newspaper, Al-Ahram, the state-owned media flagship with an editorial line firmly controlled by the regime.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category