Militants seek weeks-long halt to Thai violence

 

Associated Press

Muslim separatist negotiators will attempt to halt all violence in insurgency-plagued southern Thai provinces throughout the Islamic fasting month, a Malaysian official said Friday.

The pledge by the National Revolution Front is the biggest test so far of whether peace talks that began this year with the Thai government might yield substantive results.

More than 5,000 people have been killed in Buddhist-dominated Thailand's southernmost, Muslim-majority provinces since an Islamic insurgency erupted in 2004.

Rebel officials will try to curb all armed attacks and bombings through Aug. 18 as part of "a common understanding to work toward achieving a violence-free Ramadan," the Muslim holy month of fasting that began this week, said Ahmad Zamzamin Hashim, a Malaysian government representative facilitating the negotiations.

Ahmad Zamzamin said he was "optimistic" that the rebel representatives involved in the talks can eliminate violence, despite concerns that the insurgency appears to be highly decentralized, with local units free to choose targets and campaigns.

If violence abates in the weeks ahead, "it is proof that we can say to the whole world: There is light at the end of the tunnel," Ahmad Zamzamin told reporters in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's main city. "It is a steppingstone to whatever we want to achieve in the future."

Thai authorities, meanwhile, "will refrain from any aggressive actions with regard to the security problems caused by the southern unrest," said a statement issued by Ahmad Zamzamin's office.

Even though the pledges were not part of a signed or legally binding document, "any party that breaches, disrupts or sabotages this understanding will be considered a non-peace-loving side," Ahmad Zamzamin said.

Attacks have occurred almost daily in recent years, with the militants mainly targeting security forces and teachers, who are perceived as representatives of the government of predominantly Buddhist Thailand.

Thai National Security Council Secretary-General Paradorn Pattanathabutr told reporters in Bangkok that if an attack occurs, both sides must help to verify the origin of the problem through a coordinating team.

"I believe the incidents will decrease from last year because (the National Revolution Front) has strongly confirmed that they can communicate to the operation-level members to tone down the attacks," Paradorn said.

As a result of the peace talks, Thai authorities have agreed to reduce their raids in southern provinces, removed military operations personnel in some villages and replaced them with police officers and security volunteers to lighten the mood in the areas, Paradorn said. He insisted, however, that all safety measures remain tightened for civilians.

Associated Press writer Thanyarat Doksone contributed to this report from Bangkok.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
Supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi during demonstrations demanding he be reinstated

    Hundreds of thousands rally for Morsi in latest battle of street protests

    Supporters of Mohammed Morsi rallied on behalf of the ousted president Friday in their biggest demonstrations since he was removed from office, part of a strategy to get him reinstated by using the same means that forced his removal: mass protests.

  •  
This June 9, 2013 photo provided by The Guardian newspaper in London shows Edward Snowden, who worked as a contract employee at the U.S. National Security Agency, in Hong Kong.

    Edward Snowden reportedly vows no more leaks as he seeks asylum in Russia

    Acknowledging that he’s trapped in a Moscow airport by the ability of the United States and its European allies to force to the ground nearly any aircraft he boards, fugitive National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden asked Russia on Friday to grant him temporary asylum, promising, apparently, that he was finished leaking information about U.S. government programs.

  •  
FILE - In this Friday, July 5, 2013 file photo, journalists film an Egyptian military attack helicopter flies by the Presidential palace, in Cairo, Egypt. State-run news organizations and independent TV stations and newspapers have enthusiastically backed the military and its crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood, which included shutting down four Islamist TV stations. Their full-throated support reflects how convinced they became over President Mohammed Morsi’s year that the Brotherhood were fundamentally anti-democratic and intertwined with violent extremists.

    Egypt's media embrace military after Morsi ouster

    When autocrat Hosni Mubarak fell after popular protests in 2011, journalist Sabah Hamamou hoped for change at her newspaper, Al-Ahram, the state-owned media flagship with an editorial line firmly controlled by the regime.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category