San Diego mayor comes under swift, heavy scrutiny

 

Associated Press

The week began with news that Mayor Bob Filner's fiancee ended their engagement and, by Friday, San Diego's first Democratic leader in 20 years was desperately trying to stay in office amid sexual harassment allegations made by public by some of his closest supporters. He apologized, promised to change and begged voters to let him keep his job.

The rapid-fire developments put heavy scrutiny on the personal foibles of Bob Filner, a feisty liberal who was elected in November after 10 terms in Congress marked perhaps most famously by a 2007 run-in with a United Airlines baggage handler at Dulles International Airport that resulted in him pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge of trespassing.

Filner has long had a reputation for berating employees and been dogged by rumors of making sexual advances on women, but nothing stuck like a former city councilwoman's comments this week that she had firsthand accounts from more than one woman who was sexually harassed by the mayor.

Donna Frye, who worked briefly for the mayor as his director of open government, didn't provide any specifics at an emotional news conference Thursday, like the nature of the alleged abuse, when it occurred and how often. But she demanded Filner resign, saying, "There is no doubt in my mind that these allegations are true."

Filner, 70, didn't address specifics of his behavior either in an extraordinary video he released hours later that made clear he knew his career was gravely threatened, saying, "I need help."

"If my behavior doesn't change, I cannot succeed in leading our city," he said.

Filner, who is divorced, said he will personally apologize over the next few days to current and former employees, both men and women.

"It is a good thing that behavior that would have been tolerated in the past is being called out in this generation for what it is: inappropriate and wrong," he said.

Frye, who said she wouldn't seek Filner's job, reaffirmed her demand Friday that Filner resign, according to a tweet by Marco Gonzalez, an environmental attorney who spoke alongside the former councilwoman in urging him to step down.

"Additional information to be provided next week," Gonzalez wrote.

Frye is highly influential with Filner's base, and the mayor needs all the friends he can get after alienating many key players during his brief tenure.

"Bob takes on way too many battles at the same time and doesn't know how fight a one-front war," said Steve Erie, a political science professor at University of California, San Diego. "He's fighting a multi-front war - the City Council, the city attorney, developers, hoteliers."

Filner struck a five-year labor agreement with city unions and opened a city of San Diego office in Tijuana to strengthen ties with the Mexican border city, but his behavior now overshadows those and other accomplishments.

In February, he crashed City Attorney Jan Goldsmith's news conference about tourism marketing revenue, commandeered the podium, and accused the elected official of "unethical and unprofessional conduct" for scrutinizing the mayor's position through the news media. Last month, he ordered a Goldsmith deputy to leave a closed-door City Council meeting, saying the attorney spoke without being recognized and refused to sit down when told.

His deputy chief of staff recently resigned at a staff meeting over what Filner called disagreements about how he was running the office. When Filner asked if anyone else in the room wanted out, his communications director came forward.

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Obama talks Syria, Egypt with Saudi king

    The White House says President Barack Obama has discussed the crises in Egypt and Syria with King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, a Mideast powerhouse.

  • Justice Department curbs its ability to target journalists over leaks

    Attorney General Eric Holder, who’s been under fire in recent months for targeting reporters as part of leak investigations, released revised guidelines Friday that would make it more difficult for the federal government to seize journalists’ email and phone records.

  • Justice Dept tightens guidelines on reporter data

    The Justice Department announced Friday that it is toughening its guidelines for subpoenaing reporters' phone records, and also raising the standard the government needs to meet before it can issue search warrants to gather reporters' email.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category