Woman: 'Visions' led her to dead California boy

 

Similar stories:

  • Detective: Woman with visions led to boy's body

  • Chief: Family member arrested in autistic boy case

  • Dad: Slain Calif. boy wanted to live with him

  • APNewsBreak: Boy died of blunt, sharp-force wounds

  • APNewsBreak: Boy died of blunt, sharp-force trauma

Associated Press

Pam Ragland was watching a TV report about the search for an 11-year-old California boy missing in a rural town miles away when she felt something wasn't right.

Ragland said she began crying and then a haunting vision popped into her head: A young boy lying on his side with his eyes closed.

The boy, Terry Dewayne Smith Jr., wasn't sleeping - and by the time Ragland's visions stopped, she had led detectives to his decomposing body behind his house in the Riverside County community of Menifee.

The remains had been partially buried in a shallow grave under a tree more than 60 miles from Ragland's Orange County home.

Authorities on Friday decided to charge the boy's 16-year-old half-brother with murder. The teen is due in juvenile court on Monday, and prosecutors have requested a hearing to determine if he should be tried as an adult.

The Associated Press is not naming the suspect because he is a juvenile.

Detectives acknowledged it was a bizarre way to find the boy's body, and they are investigating whether Ragland had anything to do with the death.

Ragland, 50, said she relies on intuition to see things that others don't.

"It was just his recurrent picture that was in my head that never changed," she said. "I was getting a snapshot but I couldn't understand why he wasn't moving. He had his eyes closed, but I just thought he was sleeping."

Sgt. Lisa McConnell, a Riverside County sheriff's spokeswoman, confirmed that Ragland called in the tip that led them to the body, but she would not comment further. An investigation to rule out Ragland's possible involvement in the crime was ongoing, McConnell said.

"In terms of any kinds of abilities that she has, I can't confirm that," McConnell said.

A detective involved in the search, however, said he was impressed with the discovery.

"She actually went right up the driveway of the house, onto the property, and right up to the body of this boy," Riverside County sheriff's Detective John Powers told KFI-AM radio, which was first media outlet to get officials to confirm her account.

"Not in 23 years have I ever seen anything like this," Powers said.

Powers did not return a call by The Associated Press.

At first, Ragland didn't want to get involved but said she couldn't ignore the images that kept coming back to her.

She said she saw a dirt road, a distinctive building that looked like a hay barn, and a single tree standing alone. She saw a dark night with city lights in the distance.

She called the tip line Tuesday and a sergeant directed her to the sheriff's command center in Menifee, more than an hour's drive away. She piled her kids - a 10-year-old son and a 12-year-old daughter - into her car.

By the time they reached the town 80 miles southeast of Los Angeles, it was pitch black and the third day of a massive search was winding down for the night.

Ragland said she had a powerful sensation as she pulled into the gravel parking lot of the rustic market was serving as an impromptu search headquarters.

"I literally physically turned my body all the way around like a compass and I looked at the store ... and I said, 'He's back there,'" she recalled.

An off-duty firefighter agreed to drive her behind the store and within minutes Ragland had spotted the distinctive hay barn-type building that she had seen in her vision. Something urged her to keep going, but it was private property.

The group approached members of a family sitting in a driveway and asked if they could keep going through their property. It was the family of Terry Jr. and they said yes.

Follow Gillian Flaccus at http://twitter.com/gflaccus

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • The arguments Zimmerman jurors are considering

    Jurors deciding whether George Zimmerman committed second-degree murder when he fatally shot Trayvon Martin deliberated for three and half hours Friday before adjourning for the night with a plan to continue Saturday morning.

  • Affidavit: Man using rifle as crutch when it fired

    An Oregon man told police he was using his assault rifle as a crutch to help him get up from a couch at a friend's apartment when it fired a burst through the ceiling and killed a little girl upstairs, court records show.

  • Zimmerman's brother calls for peace, respect

    Here's a statement from Robert Zimmerman, the brother of George Zimmerman, who is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26, 2012, in Sanford, Fla.:

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category