China's airports, airlines worst in flight delays

 
 
FILE - In this Jan. 20, 2012 file photo, passengers queue up for a security check at Pudong International Airport in Shanghai, China. China's airlines and airports continue to have the worst flight delays in the world, according to a travel industry monitor.
FILE - In this Jan. 20, 2012 file photo, passengers queue up for a security check at Pudong International Airport in Shanghai, China. China's airlines and airports continue to have the worst flight delays in the world, according to a travel industry monitor.
Eugene Hoshiko, File / AP Photo

The Associated Press

China's airlines and airports continue to have the worst flight delays in the world, according to a travel industry monitor.

A survey of flight times last month showed that Beijing's airport had the lowest proportion of flights leaving on time among 35 leading airports at just 18.3 percent, FlightStat Inc. reported on its website.

Shanghai was slightly better at 28.72 percent, but still 10 percentage points below the next-worst performer, Istanbul.

Among airlines, mainland Chinese carriers made up eight of the 10 worst performing airlines. Flag carrier Air China came in sixth from the bottom, with just 54.58 percent of its flights arriving on time.

No reasons were given for the poor performance, although industry analysts frequently blame the air force's tight restrictions on airspace for heavy congestion along available corridors.

Air travel has more than quadrupled in China along with rising incomes and cheaper tickets. Alongside that growth, routine delays, shoddy service and ill-mannered passengers have fueled an epidemic of air rage incidents, video footage of which is often shown on television.

---

Online:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Italy nixes deportation of Kazakh dissident's wife

    Two months after deporting them, Italy has reversed itself and says it will welcome back the wife and 6-year-old daughter of an exiled businessman who is a foe of Kazakhstan's government.

  • US: Prisoners ending hunger strike at Guantanamo

    Most prisoners on the hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay have resumed eating, the U.S. military said Friday, suggesting a possible end, or at least a pause, to a protest that brought renewed attention to their indefinite detention at the base in Cuba.

  •  
Riot police escort a loyalist parade past the Ardoyne area of North Belfast, Northern Ireland, Friday, July 12, 2013.  A large security operation swung into place as a controversial Protestant Orange Order march passed the Catholic Ardoyne area.

    Protestants attack Belfast cops over blocked march

    Protestant hardliners attacked lines of Belfast riot police Friday as Northern Ireland's annual mass marches by the Orange Order brotherhood reached a furious, chaotic end with running street battles at several urban conflict zones.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category