Pakistani teenager shot by Taliban comes to UN

 

Similar stories:

  • Malala celebrates 16th birthday with UN address

  • UN urging nations to accelerate anti-poverty work

  • Reformers focus on recruiting better students for teacher training

  • Report: Immigration costs Miami-Dade schools $22 million a year

  • Rich-poor spending gap on schools hurts kids, report says

Associated Press

A new report released to mark the 16th birthday of a Pakistani teenager shot by the Taliban for promoting education for girls says 57 million children around the world are not going to school, and half live in conflict-affected countries.

The U.N. education and cultural agency UNESCO and Save the Children released the study ahead of Friday's first public appearance at the United Nations by Malala Yousafzai, who returned to school in March after medical treatment in Britain for injuries she suffered in the October attack.

She will address more than 500 young leaders from around the world at a Youth Assembly organized by General Assembly President Vuk Jeremic and U.N. special envoy for global education Gordon Brown, the former British prime minister.

The U.N. has declared July 12 - her 16th birthday - as "Malala Day."

According to the report, the number of children of primary school age who are not getting an education has fallen from 60 million in 2008 to 57 million in 2011, but during that period the percentage of youth in conflict-affected countries who aren't at primary school rose from 42 percent to 50 percent, UNESCO said.

Save The Children said the report shows that in 2012 there were more than 3,600 documented attacks on education, including violence, torture and intimidation against children and teachers resulting in death or grave injuries, as well as the shelling and bombing of schools and the recruitment of school-aged children by armed groups.

Since the start of the Syria conflict more than two years ago, 3,900 schools have been destroyed, damaged or are occupied for non-educational purposes, the report says.

The report, called "Children Battling To Go To School," found that 95 percent of the 28.5 million children who aren't getting a primary school education live in low and lower-middle income countries - 44 percent in sub-Saharan Africa, 19 percent in south and west Asia and 14 percent in the Arab states, UNESCO said.

Girls make up 55 percent of the total and are often the victims of rape and other sexual violence that accompanies armed conflicts, UNESCO said.

"Across many of the world's poorest countries, armed conflict continues to destroy not just school infrastructure, but also the hopes and ambitions of a whole generation of children," UNESCO's Director-General Irina Bokova said.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this July 10, 2013, photo, Imam Abdul Jabbar of the Majid Darul Quaran, also known as "The Muslim Center of Long Island," speaks about the arrest of an 18-year-old member of the mosque on terrorism charges during an interview in Bay Shore, N.Y. He says Justin Kaliebe appeared to have psychological issues, and Kaliebe's attorney contends his client was diagnosed as a child with autism.

    Correction: Student-Terror Charges story

    In a July 11 story about a New York student charged in a terrorism investigation, The Associated Press incorrectly attributed the date of his parents' divorce to one of his friends. The date of the parents' divorce came from court documents. A corrected version appears below.

  • APNewsBreak: Planes called just before fire deaths

    Commanders asked for six retardant-dropping airplanes less than an hour before 19 Arizona firefighters died last month in a sign of how dire the situation became before the crew was engulfed in flames.

  • Counts against man accused of holding Ohio women

    A new indictment brings to 977 the total counts against a man accused of holding three women captive in his home in Cleveland for about a decade. The charges:

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category