Chris Davis says he has no reason to take steroids

 

The Baltimore Sun

Orioles first baseman Chris Davis understands that there are going to be whispers, and that those will grow louder if he continues his torrid home run pace.

He is, after all, a muscle-rippling power hitter with video-game home run totals. He knows the steroid accusations are inevitable and will accompany his pursuit of home run records this season.

"I think it sucks that guys in our day and age have to answer for mistakes that guys have made in the past. But it is part of it," said Davis, who has 34 home runs in his first 93 games for the Orioles this season. "That's what happened when Major League Baseball started addressing the issue. We knew we were going to have to deal with it."

So Davis is dealing with it. He's been asked by some national media types. He's been asked on Twitter. He was asked again Thursday to address performance-enhancing drugs, and he addressed it at length.

"I have never taken them. I have no reason to. I've always been a power hitter. With me, I think the biggest thing was the consistency of the contact," said Davis, who also hit 33 homers last year in his first true full season in the majors. "When I was making contact, I was always hitting for power. I'm a guy that likes to work out a lot. I'm a guy that used to eat whatever I wanted to, but I started getting into my mid-20s, I've been seeing that change. So I've been taking better care of my body. I have a pretty strict diet. But I've never taken (performance-enhancing drugs). I haven't felt the need to."

The questions - and the suspicions - have been coming up more frequently, Davis said. Recently, a young fan on Twitter asked him straight up if he had taken steroids.

His response was simply, "no" and even that fueled debate. One Twitter follower commented that because Davis didn't put a period at the end of his response - leaving his statement open - that it was an admission of guilt.

"I'm like, 'You're really reaching there, man,'" Davis said.

He realizes he is suddenly in the middle of the court of public opinion, because he's 6-foot-3, 230 pounds and has been hitting baseballs a long way.

"People are going to believe what they want to believe. Whether they like me, whether they hate me. Whether they want to see me do well or they want me to fall flat on my face. I mean, I've taken tests. I've passed all my tests," said Davis, who had a blood test this spring like all of the Orioles players and has had three to four urine tests since � all have come back negative, he said. "I have never taken PEDs or steroids or whatever you want to call it. That's the way it is. And I think it is unfair to accuse a guy that there's nothing that leads to me doing it but speculation. But, at the same time, you are entitled to your own opinion."

And Davis has his own opinion, too. To him, baseball's true single-season home run record was Roger Maris' 61 in 1961, which broke Babe Ruth's mark of 60 set in 1927. Davis said he doesn't fully count Barry Bonds' 73 in 2001 or Mark McGwire's 70 and Sammy Sosa's 66 in the unforgettable 1998 home run race.

"I think when McGwire and Sosa did what they did in 1998, it was awesome to watch. And then when all the stuff came out with the PEDs and all of that, it was really disheartening," said Davis, who was 12 in 1998. "And if there are people that want to get upset with me saying that 61 is still, in my opinion, the single season record, I'm entitled to my own opinions and own beliefs. I was a fan before I played this game at the big league level, and I think what Roger Maris did is still considered by a lot of people to be the legitimate home run record."

Read more Baseball Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category