Bears' Melton calm as contract deadline approaches

 

Chicago Tribune

Patience has become a part of Henry Melton's daily vocabulary.

Folks around the Bears Pro Bowl defensive tackle wonder if it's tough for him to await a possible long-term deal. Actually, the suspense hasn't been too difficult for Melton at all.

"I can only control what I can control, and that's my performance on the field," Melton said. "It's kind of like when you have strong feelings for a place - you want to stay there long term. Of course you want to get something done, but it's pretty much out of my hands."

The Bears control whether they will make a long-term offer before Monday's deadline that will satisfy Melton. If not, he will play under the one-year franchise tender he signed worth $8.45 million and then could become a free agent in 2014 if the Bears don't use the franchise tag on him again.

Melton said there has been "chatter" between his agent, Jordan Woy, and the Bears, but nothing that would indicate a deal is imminent. Melton showed good faith in signing the franchise tender immediately, participating in all offseason workouts and operating in a professional manner.

There's still a chance he could get the type of contract he desires over the next few days. Last year, the Bears reached a last-minute deal with franchised running back Matt Forte despite a bleak outlook.

The team's initial offer to Melton, though not publicly discussed, was far below his expectations. Melton wants a five-year deal but declines to discuss financial terms. It makes sense for him to seek about $20 million guaranteed, considering he would make at least $18.59 million if tagged twice.

"Some guys get money and stop caring about their performance. That's not in my blood," Melton said. "I'm a competitor in everything, don't back down to anything. I've always felt like I've had to play like I have something to prove, regardless of the circumstances."

Melton's steady ascent is why the Bears may open up the checkbook. The 26-year-old fourth-round pick in 2009 from Texas was limited by injury as a rookie then burst on the scene with a two-sack outing in the 2011 season opener against the Falcons. Melton has 13 sacks the last two seasons, the second-most for a defensive tackle behind the Bengals' Geno Atkins (20).

Melton credited former Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli for his development. The two used to meet privately and watch film of disruptive tackles John Randall and Warren Sapp.

"I remember when the old staff was here, they told me the sky's the limit for me," Melton said. "I'm just trying to keep improving. I want to become more of an all-around player. I want to be on that All-Pro ballot."

Read more Football Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Extra Points: Broncos need to take proactive stance

    Analytics is all the rage in professional sports. But, while baseball geeks debate WAR and FIP and basketball junkies discuss PER, football analysts are left to sift through national arrest rates in an effort to contextualize the NFL's perceived problems with the law.

  • Melton's season a big deal � to him and Bears

    The deadline for the Bears to sign Henry Melton to a multiyear deal is Monday afternoon and unless there is late activity like there was for Matt Forte when he was in the same situation last summer, the defensive tackle once again will be in a contract year.

  • Cowboys part ways with FB Vickers

    The Dallas Cowboys released veteran fullback Lawrence Vickers on Friday.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category