Ethiopian suspected of torture to go to trial

 

Similar stories:

  • Judge: No sleepover but lawyers can spend 12 hours in Guantánamo’s secret prison

  • Guantánamo guard shot ‘non-lethal’ round at detainees

  • Guantánamo guard shot ‘non-lethal’ round at detainees

  • Ex-Chad ruler charged with crimes against humanity

  • Fort Lauderdale executive convicted of money-laundering plot

The Associated Press

An Ethiopian immigrant who prosecutors suspect tortured and killed dozens of political prisoners in his home country in the 1970s has decided to proceed to trial on immigration charges.

Kefelegne Alemu Worku, who was living in the Denver area under the name Habteab Berhe Temanu, is charged with unlawfully procuring citizenship or naturalization, and aggravated identity theft. If convicted of both counts, he could face up to 12 years in prison and fines up to $500,000. He has not been charged in Denver with any crimes related to prison abuse.

Court records show Worku was prepared to plead guilty to the charges but decided to proceed to trial Thursday after a federal judge said he would be subject to deportation if he pleaded guilty, The Denver Post reported (http://bit.ly/1avd5sS).

The man had sent a handwritten letter dated June 23 to U.S. District Judge John Kane saying he had lied to U.S. government officials about his identity and knows it was wrong, according to court records.

"My name is Kefelegne-Alemu-Worku. ... I lied to U.S. gov't officials and I accepted documents that were not rightfully mine," according to documents filed in federal court. "This was wrong and I apologize for my errors ...," he wrote, adding he simply wanted to live in America.

Worku's lawyer has denied that his client was a guard at an Ethiopian prison known for atrocities and human rights abuses.

"He denies all of it," Matthew Golla, a federal public defender, said in September when his client was arrested on immigration charges. Golla did not return a phone call Thursday from The Associated Press seeking further comment.

Golla said his client had lived peacefully in Denver for more than eight years and should be released.

Established during the late 1970s in a campaign known as the Red Terror, the Ethiopian prison was called "one of the most systematic uses of mass murder by a state ever witnessed in Africa" by the global watchdog group Human Rights Watch.

Homeland Security Agent Jeffrey Lembke previously said a prison guard had been spotted in May 2011 in a suburban Denver restaurant by a former prisoner. The man went to authorities with his suspicions.

Two other Ethiopian immigrants who also say they were held at the prison identified the guard in a photo lineup, authorities said. The three immigrants told authorities the guard participated in beatings and torture sessions that included a cattle prod, rifle butts, whips and pipes.

Information from: The Denver Post, http://www.denverpost.com

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
In this July 10, 2013, photo, Imam Abdul Jabbar of the Majid Darul Quaran, also known as "The Muslim Center of Long Island," speaks about the arrest of an 18-year-old member of the mosque on terrorism charges during an interview in Bay Shore, N.Y. He says Justin Kaliebe appeared to have psychological issues, and Kaliebe's attorney contends his client was diagnosed as a child with autism.

    Correction: Student-Terror Charges story

    In a July 11 story about a New York student charged in a terrorism investigation, The Associated Press incorrectly attributed the date of his parents' divorce to one of his friends. The date of the parents' divorce came from court documents. A corrected version appears below.

  • APNewsBreak: Planes called just before fire deaths

    Commanders asked for six retardant-dropping airplanes less than an hour before 19 Arizona firefighters died last month in a sign of how dire the situation became before the crew was engulfed in flames.

  • Counts against man accused of holding Ohio women

    A new indictment brings to 977 the total counts against a man accused of holding three women captive in his home in Cleveland for about a decade. The charges:

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category