Exam reveals no serious injury for Rangers ace Yu Darvish

 

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Nothing more than fatigue was diagnosed Thursday after Yu Darvish had his right trapezius muscle examined in Arlington by Texas Rangers team physician Dr. Keith Meister.

Darvish will meet the team Friday in Detroit and begin a throwing program, said assistant general manager Thad Levine. The expectation remains that the right-hander will come off the disabled list the first day he is eligible for reinstatement, July 22, to face the New York Yankees.

The Rangers followed through with the exam to place Darvish on the DL before the results of the exam were known, and left-handed reliever Joseph Ortiz was recalled from Triple A Round Rock.

The club also optioned right-hander Josh Lindblom, the losing pitcher Wednesday against Baltimore, to Round Rock and recalled righty reliever Wilmer Font. The Rangers will have 10 relievers through at least the end of the first half, though it's unlikely that long man Ross Wolf will be available after replacing Darvish on Thursday.

Levine said the results of Darvish's exam were "as good of news as we could have gotten."

"The exam was totally normal, such that we didn't even conduct an MRI or scans of any variety," Levine said. "We were hopeful this was going to be the case, and it turned out to be just that."

The Rangers have no regrets about placing Darvish on the DL and using long man Ross Wolf in the finale against Baltimore. Because the DL move was retroactive to Sunday and with the All-Star break approaching, Darvish will get a two-week break while missing only one start.

They used the All-Star break last year to give him a 12-day break between starts July 1 and July 14 while again missing only one start. The Rangers aren't planning to send him on a rehab assignment.

"It's the right time of the year," Levine said. "The schedule plays so you can give a pitcher who's been shouldering a big load for us and a guy that we're going to count on down the stretch two weeks off to miss just one start."

Finality for Scheppers

Right-hander Tanner Scheppers won't be going to the All-Star Game after finishing fifth in the five-man Final Vote for the final spot on the American League squad.

Toronto right-hander Steve Delabar won the vote with 9.6 million votes.

"Thank you for all the support and taking the time every day to vote for me," Scheppers said, addressing his supporters. "I feel extremely blessed that people in Texas and around the country would give me that kind of support."

The Rangers will have three players - Yu Darvish, closer Joe Nathan and right fielder Nelson Cruz - Tuesday at Citi Field. Darvish isn't eligible to pitch but plans to attend.

However, they won't be represented in the Futures Game after Hickory third baseman Joey Gallo hit the disabled list with a strained groin. His teammate, catcher Jorge Alfaro, also won't play after suffering a broken hand two weeks ago.

Gallo is expected to return late next week.

Injury updates

Outfielder Craig Gentry (broken left hand) plans to begin a medical rehabilitation assignment Sunday at Double A Frisco. Utility man Jeff Baker (sprained right thumb) took batting practice for the first time since his injury.

Right-hander Alexi Ogando (shoulder inflammation) made his second rehab start for Round Rock with the goal of hitting 60 pitches. He likely will need more starts before he comes off the DL.

Designated hitter Lance Berkman said that there has been no noticeable improvement in his left hip but that he expects to come off the DL the first day he is eligible, July 22.

Read more Baseball Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category