Court denies Fort Hood suspect access to evidence

 

Similar stories:

  • Court denies Fort Hood suspect access to evidence

  • Former judge admits flaws in secret court

  • Federal judge: FISA court not a rubber stamp

  • PRISM snooping makes Verizon surveillance look like kids’ stuff

  • Rand Paul’s losing argument

The Associated Press

The Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly mass shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, cannot access evidence obtained through secret electronic surveillance, a federal appeals court ruled.

The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans also denied Maj. Nidal Hasan's motion to suppress the evidence the government plans to use against him. The court's decision Wednesday upheld a lower court's ruling issued before Hasan recently began serving as his own attorney.

Hasan faces execution or life without parole if convicted in the 2009 rampage that left 13 dead and nearly three dozen wounded on the Texas Army post. Jury selection in his court-martial started Tuesday at Fort Hood, and testimony in the trial is to start Aug. 3.

In his motion, Hasan's attorneys had argued that without access to the evidence obtained through the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or FISA, his legal rights would be violated. But the appeals court said "it cannot be said that this exclusion rises to the level of a constitutional violation." The ruling said every appeals court that has considered a constitutional challenge to FISA has upheld the statute.

"In FISA Congress has made a thoroughly reasonable attempt to balance the competing concerns of individual privacy and foreign intelligence," the ruling states.

FISA, enacted in 1978, allows the government to monitor conversations of foreign spies and terrorist suspects abroad for intelligence purposes. The 2008 FISA amendments allow the government to obtain from a secret court broad, yearlong intercept orders, which raises the prospect that phone calls and emails between those foreign targets and innocent Americans in this country would be swept under the umbrella of surveillance.

Some of these FISA court rulings also likely have been disclosed by Edward Snowden, the NSA systems analyst who recently leaked significant information about the spying program.

The nature and timing of the surveillance on Hasan is unclear. But the FBI has released emails from Hasan to a radical Muslim cleric, in which he indicated that he supported terrorists and was intrigued with the idea of U.S. soldiers killing comrades in the name of Islam. Hasan told the military judge last month that he opened fire in the Fort Hood building because he thought soldiers were deploying and posed an immediate threat to Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Diary reveals school aide had student's baby

    Authorities say the diary of a Southern California teacher's aide reveals her sexual relationship with an underage student and that she gave birth to the boy's baby.

  •  

Tuesday's Asiana Flight 214 comes in for a landing over the wreckage of Saturday's Asiana Flight 214 at San Francisco International Airport in San Francisco, Tuesday, July 9, 2013. Saturday's Asiana Flight 214, crashed upon landing, two of the 307 passengers aboard were killed.,

    NTSB findings on SF plane crash at a glance

    After departing from Shanghai and stopping in Seoul, Asiana Flight 214 makes its final approach into San Francisco International Airport following a 10-hour flight across the Pacific Ocean. A preliminary review of the crash by U.S. investigators turns up the following:

  • Court denies Fort Hood suspect access to evidence

    The Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly mass shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, cannot access evidence obtained through secret electronic surveillance, a federal appeals court ruled.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category