NTSB: No sign of mechanical trouble on Asiana 214

 

Similar stories:

  • Asiana passengers begged 911 dispatchers for help

  • Officials probe why crashed SF jet flew too slow

  • Investigators look into pairing of Asiana pilots

  • NTSB chairwoman: No cause of death on crash victim

  • Pilots faced challenges landing in San Francisco

Associated Press

Inspectors found that the autothrottle had been "armed," or made ready for activation, Hersman said. But investigators are still determining whether it had been engaged. In the last two minutes, there was a lot of use of autopilot and autothrottle, and investigators are going to look into whether pilots made the appropriate commands and if they knew what they were doing, she said.

Experts said the evidence points toward pilot error.

Lee Collins, a pilot with 18,000 hours and 29 years of experience on a variety of airliners, said the question is how the Asiana pilots could make such a "gross error."

"What caused this airplane to crash was their failure to maintain proper airspeed," Collins said.

During the evacuation, many passengers jumped out the back of the plane or slid down inflated slides through emergency exits. Then, say some, an unnerving wait began. 911 tapes recorded frantic callers, pleading for help.

"We've been on the ground, I don't know, 20 minutes, a half hour," said one woman. "There are people laying on the tarmac with critical injuries, head injuries. We're almost losing a woman here. We're trying to keep her alive."

San Francisco Fire Department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said Thursday that some passengers who called 911 may not have immediately seen ambulances at the scene because they were dispatched to a nearby staging area as first responders assessed who needed to be taken to the hospital.

"There is a procedure for doing it," Talmadge said. "You don't cause more chaos in an already chaotic situation. You don't do that with 50 ambulances running around all over the place."

Within 18 minutes of receiving word of the crash, five ambulances and more than a dozen other rescue vehicles were at the scene or en route, in addition to airport fire crews and crews from San Mateo County and other agencies already on the scene, Talmadge said.

"Our response was immediate," Talmadge said. "It's not what you may see in the movies. That's not how a real-life response is to a large-scale incident."

---

Associated Press writers Joan Lowy in Washington, Terry Collins in San Francisco and Haven Daley in Scotts Valley, Calif., contributed to this report.

Follow Martha Mendoza at https://twitter.com/mendozamartha.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Pakistani teenager shot by Taliban comes to UN

    A new report released to mark the 16th birthday of a Pakistani teenager shot by the Taliban for promoting education for girls says 57 million children around the world are not going to school, and half live in conflict-affected countries.

  •  

Eliot Spitzer tries to collect signatures for his run for New York City Comptroller in New York, Monday, July 8, 2013. Former Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who stepped down in 2008 amid a prostitution scandal, says he is planning a political comeback with a run for New York City comptroller.

    Spitzer submits signatures for NYC ballot

    Eliot Spitzer has met the deadline to file thousands of petition signatures for his bid to revive his political career by running for New York City comptroller.

  • Ethiopian suspected of torture to go to trial

    An Ethiopian immigrant who prosecutors suspect tortured and killed dozens of political prisoners in his home country in the 1970s has decided to proceed to trial on immigration charges.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category