Army relieves Fort Jackson general

 

Similar stories:

  • Ex-Army inspector accused of stealing troops' IDs

  • Navy names next prison camps commander

  • WikiLeaks trial focuses on Guantánamo detainee assessments

  • Man fatally shot, woman wounded in Oakland Park

  • At one Army base, a new shade of green

Associated Press

The Army is removing the one-star general in charge of its largest training post following his suspension in May over charges of adultery and involvement in a physical altercation.

The Army said Brig. Gen. Bryan Roberts had been relieved of his command at Fort Jackson, S.C., due to misconduct.

The decision was made by Gen. Robert W. Cone, Commander of the Army Training and Doctrine Command in Fort Eustis, Va.

The brief Army statement issued Thursday said the misconduct included adultery and the altercation, but did not involve sexual assault or harassment.

In May, the Army said Roberts was in an altercation with another woman who was not his wife.

Roberts took command of Fort Jackson in April 2012.

He has been in the Army for about 29 years.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Diary reveals school aide had student's baby

    Authorities say the diary of a Southern California teacher's aide reveals her sexual relationship with an underage student and that she gave birth to the boy's baby.

  •  

Tuesday's Asiana Flight 214 comes in for a landing over the wreckage of Saturday's Asiana Flight 214 at San Francisco International Airport in San Francisco, Tuesday, July 9, 2013. Saturday's Asiana Flight 214, crashed upon landing, two of the 307 passengers aboard were killed.,

    NTSB findings on SF plane crash at a glance

    After departing from Shanghai and stopping in Seoul, Asiana Flight 214 makes its final approach into San Francisco International Airport following a 10-hour flight across the Pacific Ocean. A preliminary review of the crash by U.S. investigators turns up the following:

  • Court denies Fort Hood suspect access to evidence

    The Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly mass shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, cannot access evidence obtained through secret electronic surveillance, a federal appeals court ruled.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category