Colombian pleads not guilty to more US charges

 
 

FILE - In this July 9, 2013, file photo, Daniel Barrera Barrera, a Colombian cocaine distributor known as "El Loco"  is presented to the media prior to his extradition to the U.S. at the counter-narcotics base in Bogota. Barrera was brought to New York and had an initial court appearance in New York on Wednesday, July 10, 2013, on charges that he led a drug organization that produced hundreds of tons of cocaine annually and funneled revenue to terrorist organizations. On Thursday he was scheduled to face more charges in federal court.
FILE - In this July 9, 2013, file photo, Daniel Barrera Barrera, a Colombian cocaine distributor known as "El Loco" is presented to the media prior to his extradition to the U.S. at the counter-narcotics base in Bogota. Barrera was brought to New York and had an initial court appearance in New York on Wednesday, July 10, 2013, on charges that he led a drug organization that produced hundreds of tons of cocaine annually and funneled revenue to terrorist organizations. On Thursday he was scheduled to face more charges in federal court.
Fernando Vergara, File / AP Photo

Similar stories:

  • Colombian drug suspect pleads not guilty in NY

  • Colombian drug suspect pleads not guilty in NY

  • Colombian kingpin faces drug charges in Miami, New York after extradition

  • 3 held on drug charges following arrest at sea

  • ‘Queen-pin’ pleads guilty in Miami drug-trafficking case tied to Mexico, Colombia

The Associated Press

A Colombian who authorities say is known as "El Loco" pleaded not guilty Thursday to money laundering charges in a U.S. case accusing him of trafficking hundreds of tons of cocaine.

A lawyer for Daniel Barrera Barrera entered the plea in federal court in Brooklyn a day after he pleaded not guilty to related narcotics charges in his first court appearance in Manhattan.

Barrera, who's being held without bail, did not speak during the brief proceeding. The lawyer, Ruben Oliva, declined comment outside court.

U.S. prosecutors have described the 44-year-old Barrera as one of the largest cocaine distributors in history. They alleged he laundered tens of millions of dollars of profits as he processed about 30,000 kilograms - more than 60,000 pounds - of raw cocaine into cocaine powder each month since 1998.

The U.S. Treasury Department in March 2010 put Barrera on its list of most-wanted Colombian narcotics traffickers. He was arrested last September in Venezuela. He was then sent to Colombia, where the U.S. pursued his extradition.

Barrera reportedly had several cosmetic surgeries and tried to burn off his fingerprints with acid to mask his identity. His attorney has denied his client had the surgeries.

Venezuelan officials say they confiscated houses, ranches, a yacht, apartments and 48 cars from Barrera, U.S. authorities said.

U.S. prosecutors say Barrera's organization produced as much as 400 tons of cocaine annually and used some of the proceeds to fund rebel groups, including the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or the FARC.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Death of Arizona serial killer ruled a suicide

    The death of a convicted Arizona serial killer whose body was discovered last month in an isolation cell was ruled a suicide Thursday by a medical examiner who said the gunman who once terrorized Phoenix had overdosed on antidepressants.

  •  

Deborah Hersman of the National Transportation Safety Board speaks in front of a photograph of the wreckage of Asiana Flight 214, which crashed on Saturday, July 6, 2013, at San Francisco International Airport, at a news conference in South San Francisco, Calif., Thursday, July 11, 2013.

    10 Things to Know for Friday

    Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:

  • Panel suggests $7.7M breakdown of Newtown payments

    Preliminary recommendations on $7.7 million in donations collected after the Connecticut school shooting calls for giving $281,000 to each of the families of the 26 children and school educators killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category