Records: DPS paramedic reported firefighter deaths

 

Similar stories:

Associated Press

An Arizona state helicopter paramedic was calm and straightforward as he radioed in the first confirmation that 19 firefighters were dead in a blaze northwest of Phoenix, recordings released Thursday show.

Paramedic Eric Tarr called Department of Public Safety dispatchers after his pilot dropped him off near the site near Yarnell where the Granite Mountain Hotshots had deployed fire shelters on June 30.

After hiking about 500 yards to the site, Tarr radioed his dispatcher and asked her to tell his pilot, "I have 19 confirmed fatalities."

The confirmation came less than two hours after the 19 men on the crew called in at 4:47 p.m. and said they were deploying their emergency fire shelters as the blaze roared toward them.

An Arizona Division of Forestry official asked DPS to send a third helicopter to the scene in case it was needed to evacuate injured firefighters, according to the recordings and a dispatch log. He also asked for hospitals to be notified. The records don't show if the third helicopter ever left from Flagstaff, but the DPS helicopter carrying the pilot and Tarr found the crew fairly quickly.

The DPS records were the first released to The Associated Press since the fire. The AP has requested documents from other agencies, including the Forestry Division, which replied that it was so busy with the fire it didn't have staff to devote to immediately producing the records.

The incident was the worst loss of firefighters in a U.S. wildfire since 1933.

Fire officials declared late Wednesday that the Yarnell Hill Fire -sparked by a lightning strike about 60 miles northwest of Phoenix on June 28 - was fully contained after burning about 13 square miles.

The Prescott-based Granite Mountain Hotshots were killed when a thunderstorm triggered a wind shift, sending the fire blowing back toward them.

The first funerals for the fallen firefighters began Wednesday, a day after thousands attended a memorial service for the men.

Estimates of how many structures were destroyed range from 114 to 129. Residents have been allowed to return, and a road through the area reopened on Wednesday.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Death of Arizona serial killer ruled a suicide

    The death of a convicted Arizona serial killer whose body was discovered last month in an isolation cell was ruled a suicide Thursday by a medical examiner who said the gunman who once terrorized Phoenix had overdosed on antidepressants.

  •  

Deborah Hersman of the National Transportation Safety Board speaks in front of a photograph of the wreckage of Asiana Flight 214, which crashed on Saturday, July 6, 2013, at San Francisco International Airport, at a news conference in South San Francisco, Calif., Thursday, July 11, 2013.

    10 Things to Know for Friday

    Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:

  • Panel suggests $7.7M breakdown of Newtown payments

    Preliminary recommendations on $7.7 million in donations collected after the Connecticut school shooting calls for giving $281,000 to each of the families of the 26 children and school educators killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category