Key Biscayne

Commission puts nonprofit group in control of Miami Marine Stadium redevelopment plan

 
 

Miami Marine Stadium on Wednesday April 23, 2013.
Miami Marine Stadium on Wednesday April 23, 2013.
PATRICK FARRELL / MIAMI HERALD
Upload and share your own.

You can share related videos and photos.

Submit: Video Pictures Stories

aviglucci@MiamiHerald.com

By a 4-1 vote, Miami commissioners agreed Thursday to give a nonprofit group seeking to save the iconic but shuttered Miami Marine Stadium control over the full site, including parking lots, so they can develop a detailed plan to reopen the facility.

Leaders of Friends of the Miami Marine Stadium said the vote allows them to start raising millions of dollars to renovate the 1963 stadium, regarded as an architectural and engineering treasure, and reopen it as a public park. The plan would include some small-scale development, including a marine exhibition center and restaurants, to support the stadium’s operation.

That plan would still have to come back to the commission for approval, Friends co-founder Jorge Hernandez told the commission.

Commissioner Frank Carollo, the lone dissenting vote, said he believed the proposal should go to a public referendum. Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones, who had previously voted against a separate agreement allowing the group to move forward with its plan, said she was reassured by the establishment of an escrow account at the National trust for Historic Preservation to handle money raised by the group for the project.

Friends has secured $10 million so far, including $3 million from a county preservation fund, and now has two years to raise the balance of the estimated $30 million it will take to renovate the stadium.

Members of the Miami-Dade legislative delegation delivered a letter to the commission Thursday pledging to seek between $500,000 and $1.5 million in state funding for the stadium next year.

Read more Key Biscayne stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK