Australian gets 70 months for Wyoming bank heist

 

Similar stories:

  • Homelessness: Miami’s shadow city

  • Florida has a chance to get mandatory youth sentencing right — next time

  • NY woman gets probation in illegal maid case

  • Former UM student to serve three years prison for DUI death

  • Witness in Chandra Levy murder case was government informer

Associated Press

A federal judge in Wyoming handed down a nearly six-year prison sentence to an Australian man who says he robbed a Jackson bank so he could give money to the homeless.

U.S. District Judge Alan B. Johnson sentenced Corey Donaldson, 40, to serve 70 months for bank robbery.

He also said Donaldson likely will be deported after his prison term.

Representing himself at trial this spring, Donaldson likened himself to Robin Hood, saying he was justified in taking over $140,000 from the U.S. Bank on Dec. 31 because he used much of the cash to save the lives of homeless people.

"You haven't lived until you have served others in such a way that they can never pay you back," Donaldson told the judge on Thursday.

He also apologized for terrifying the bank manager by falsely claiming the bank building was rigged with explosives.

Donaldson was arrested on Jan. 22 in Utah. Officers recovered more than $30,000 from Donaldson and in a room he had rented in an upscale hotel. At trial, officers testified they found $11,000 stuffed into envelopes and addressed to Donaldson's relatives.

Donaldson addressed the judge for more than an hour Thursday, spanning subjects ranging from a family yachting accident when he was a teenager to his plans to study literature after prison. He said he came to the U.S. after marrying a U.S. citizen and stayed, sometimes without a home, after a divorce.

Donaldson argued that banks racked up record profits while forcing people into homelessness through foreclosures. He said his father lost the family home in Australia in a bank default years ago and once considered suicide as a means of providing for 10 children from life insurance proceeds.

Prosecutor Todd Shugart emphasized that Donaldson was prepared to ship money to family overseas. "His claim of carrying out this act to benefit the poor is simply disingenuous," Shugart said.

In pronouncing sentence, Johnson said the bank robbery was "fueled by deceit." He cited a pre-sentencing report that stated that Donaldson had written to publishers trying to drum up interest in a book about the robbery.

Johnson said he expects Donaldson will be deported back to Australia after serving his sentence.

"I don't view what will happen to him as an exile in this matter, but a return home," the judge said.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Death of Arizona serial killer ruled a suicide

    The death of a convicted Arizona serial killer whose body was discovered last month in an isolation cell was ruled a suicide Thursday by a medical examiner who said the gunman who once terrorized Phoenix had overdosed on antidepressants.

  •  

Deborah Hersman of the National Transportation Safety Board speaks in front of a photograph of the wreckage of Asiana Flight 214, which crashed on Saturday, July 6, 2013, at San Francisco International Airport, at a news conference in South San Francisco, Calif., Thursday, July 11, 2013.

    10 Things to Know for Friday

    Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:

  • Panel suggests $7.7M breakdown of Newtown payments

    Preliminary recommendations on $7.7 million in donations collected after the Connecticut school shooting calls for giving $281,000 to each of the families of the 26 children and school educators killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category