Barry censured, fined over gifts from contractors

 

Similar stories:

Associated Press

D.C. Councilmember Marion Barry has been censured by the city's ethics board and fined $13,600 for accepting cash gifts from two city contractors.

The board concluded Thursday that Barry had violated the council's code of conduct when he took a total of $6,800 from two construction companies that have done business with the city. The owner of one of the companies said he gave Barry $2,800 to help pay his bills.

Barry reported the gifts on his financial disclosure statements, but didn't inform the council chairman as required or recuse himself from matters involving the companies.

In a statement, the former four-term mayor called the settlement fair and said he had intended to follow all laws.

Follow Ben Nuckols on Twitter at https://twitter.com/APBenNuckols.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Death of Arizona serial killer ruled a suicide

    The death of a convicted Arizona serial killer whose body was discovered last month in an isolation cell was ruled a suicide Thursday by a medical examiner who said the gunman who once terrorized Phoenix had overdosed on antidepressants.

  •  

Deborah Hersman of the National Transportation Safety Board speaks in front of a photograph of the wreckage of Asiana Flight 214, which crashed on Saturday, July 6, 2013, at San Francisco International Airport, at a news conference in South San Francisco, Calif., Thursday, July 11, 2013.

    10 Things to Know for Friday

    Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:

  • Panel suggests $7.7M breakdown of Newtown payments

    Preliminary recommendations on $7.7 million in donations collected after the Connecticut school shooting calls for giving $281,000 to each of the families of the 26 children and school educators killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category