Man gets 30 years for fatal shooting

 

The Associated Press

A South Florida man who fled as jurors were deliberating on his third-degree murder case earlier this year was sentenced to 30 years in prison on Thursday.

Palm Beach County Judge Barry Cohen sentenced Niklas Prokopishen, 33, more than two months after a jury found him guilty.

The Palm Beach Post (http://goo.gl/ddGDT) reports that Prokopishen had been on house arrest and wore and ankle monitor until the time of his trial. The judge agreed to allow Prokopishen to remove the monitor after Prokopishen complained that the device's beeping would have portrayed him in an unfair light in front of jurors.

Prokopishen escaped while jurors were deliberating the case. U.S. marshals captured him a week later in New York after local and federal authorities had spent more than 350 hours trying to find him.

Prokopishen fatally shot 24-year-old Francisco Roman in January 2010 at an apartment Roman shared with his girlfriend, prosecutors said. Prokopishen went to the apartment with a gun after the girlfriend called him about an argument she had with Roman.

Defense attorneys claimed Prokopishen found the gun in the apartment and acted in self-defense.

Roman's mother, Milsa Amely, turned to Prokopishen during his sentencing and told him that in the few seconds it took for him to shoot Roman, he ruined two famillies' lives forever.

"As a Christian woman I forgive you," Amely said. "But there are consequences for such poor judgment."

Information from: The Palm Beach (Fla.) Post, http://www.pbpost.com

Read more Florida Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category