'Dead' candidate elected in south Mexico village

 
 

In this June 4, 2013 photo, Lenin Carballido poses for a portrait during his campaign in Oaxaca, Mexico.  Mexican prosecutors are investigating how Carballido certified as dead was elected mayor of a village in southern Mexico. Carballido narrowly won Sunday's election in San Agustin Amatengo, near the colonial city of Oaxaca. But then a death certificate surfaced, indicating that Carballido had died in 2010 of a diabetic coma. Prosecutors say one of Carballido's relatives used the death certificate to convince detectives to drop an arrest warrant for an alleged 2004 rape.
In this June 4, 2013 photo, Lenin Carballido poses for a portrait during his campaign in Oaxaca, Mexico. Mexican prosecutors are investigating how Carballido certified as dead was elected mayor of a village in southern Mexico. Carballido narrowly won Sunday's election in San Agustin Amatengo, near the colonial city of Oaxaca. But then a death certificate surfaced, indicating that Carballido had died in 2010 of a diabetic coma. Prosecutors say one of Carballido's relatives used the death certificate to convince detectives to drop an arrest warrant for an alleged 2004 rape.
Luis Alberto Hernandez / AP Photo

Similar stories:

Associated Press

Prosecutors are investigating how a man certified as dead got elected mayor of a village in southern Mexico.

Authorities say relatives of Lenin Carballido used a death certificate showing that he died of a diabetic coma in 2010 to convince police to drop an arrest warrant against him for allegedly participating in a 2004 gang rape.

A living Carballido later ran in, and narrowly won, Sunday's election in San Agustin Amatengo in Oaxaca state. In his campaign, he posted photos of himself all around the village of 1,400 residents, with slogans like "A Real Change" and "United for Development."

But shortly after his victory, the death certificate surfaced with his full name of Leninguer Carballido.

Officials in Oaxaca said Thursday that the certificate had been drawn up and signed by a public registry official, but that the information had been faked.

Carballido's party, the leftist Democratic Revolution Party, known as the PRD, said it had been fooled by the candidate.

"When he registered as a candidate, he presented all his paperwork, his birth certificate, a letter stating he had no criminal record," said Rey Morales, the state leader of the PRD. "He fooled the prosecutors office, he fooled the office of records, he fooled electoral officials."

"If all this is true, he cannot take office as mayor," said Morales.

Haydee Reyes Soto, the director of the Oaxaca public records office, said the registry official who drew up the fake death certificate used a real official form, signed it and stamped it with an official seal, and even listed it under a file number used to record a real death.

"The form is real, what is false is the information," Reyes Soto said, adding "the decision has already been made to fire" the official, Abel de la Rosa Santos, who is also being questioned by prosecutors.

According to records, a woman accused of Carballido and four other men of having raped her in Oaxaca city in 2004.

Mayra Ricardez, spokeswoman for the Oaxaca state prosecutors' office, said the arrest warrant against Carballido was "never served, because his family showed officers a false death certificate."

Ricardez said the statute of limitations had not run out on the crime.

"The prosecutors' office is taking all the legal steps necessary to revive the case and serve the arrest warrant that is still pending," she said.

It seems unlikely that Carballido will be able to take office in San Agustin Amatengo, an impoverished village near the city of Oaxaca where many residents left in the 2000s to seek work in the United States and elsewhere.

Carballido didn't answer his cellphone Thursday.

One San Agustin Amatengo official, who said he could not speak on the record about a criminal case, said residents hadn't been aware of the candidate's past; the rape did not take place in the village.

"All of this came out after the elections were over," the official said.

It's not the first time that embarrassing candidates have been elected in Mexico.

In 2009, a PRD candidate went fugitive after winning a seat in Mexico's Congress, when tapes surfaced of a conversation between him and a drug lord. And congressional candidates have often been caught running for seats in districts where they don't really live.

Read more Americas Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category