Lebanon Shiites ousted from Gulf as Hezbollah fans

 
 

In this Wednesday, July 10, 2013 photo, Shiites Hassan Alayan, left, who was expelled from the UAE in 2009, speaks with Ali Rashid, right, who was expelled from the UAE in 2011, at a cafe in Beirut, Lebanon. Long considered by authorities as a security threat, hundreds of Shiites have been quietly expelled from the United Arab Emirates over the past few years on suspicion of being supporters of Hezbollah. Diplomats and Shiite families in Lebanon say deportations have surged in the past few months after the militant group group publicly joined the civil war in Syria on the side of President Bashar Assad, an arch enemy of the Gulf’s rulers.
In this Wednesday, July 10, 2013 photo, Shiites Hassan Alayan, left, who was expelled from the UAE in 2009, speaks with Ali Rashid, right, who was expelled from the UAE in 2011, at a cafe in Beirut, Lebanon. Long considered by authorities as a security threat, hundreds of Shiites have been quietly expelled from the United Arab Emirates over the past few years on suspicion of being supporters of Hezbollah. Diplomats and Shiite families in Lebanon say deportations have surged in the past few months after the militant group group publicly joined the civil war in Syria on the side of President Bashar Assad, an arch enemy of the Gulf’s rulers.
Bilal Hussein / AP Photo

Associated Press

When Ali Farhat was summoned to the immigration department in the United Arab Emirates, the 33-year-old Lebanese restaurant worker knew he would have to pack up his family and leave fast.

Like many Shiite Muslims working in the oil-rich Gulf state, Farhat says he popped up on the country's deportation radar merely because of his sect, which its Sunni rulers associate with the Lebanese Shiite militant group Hezbollah.

"I felt like a criminal, but I did not know what I did wrong," said Farhat, who had lived in the UAE for 15 years before his expulsion in May. "It seems that my only crime was that I am Shiite."

Long considered by authorities as a security threat, hundreds of Shiites have been quietly expelled from the UAE, Saudi Arabia and other Gulf Arab states on suspicion of being supporters of Hezbollah. The deportations have surged in recent months after the group publicly joined the civil war in Syria on the side of President Bashar Assad, an archenemy of the Gulf's rulers.

It is the latest fallout for Lebanese Shiites from Hezbollah's high stakes and highly divisive military involvement in the war in Syria, and a sign of the growing sectarian fissures in the Arab world over Syria.

Last month, Saudi Arabia announced plans to deport Lebanese who authorities accuse of supporting the Iranian-backed Hezbollah, and the other Gulf states say they too are reconsidering the status of their Shiite guest workers.

A Lebanese diplomat stationed in the Gulf confirmed to The Associated Press on Thursday that the stepped-up deportations from Saudi Arabia have begun, adding that he has documented an average of three cases a week in the past three weeks.

Farhat, like hundreds of other deportees, was never given an official reason for his family's expulsion, and was not able to challenge it in court or at a government agency.

Deportees like Farhat are not the only ones bearing the brunt of Hezbollah's military involvement in Syria, where the group's fighters helped Assad's forces recapture the strategic town of Qusair, near the border with Lebanon, last month.

The group's backing of the Syrian regime has angered the overwhelmingly Sunni rebels fighting to topple Assad and raised sectarian tensions inside Lebanon. Several Syria-based Islamist groups have threatened to attack Hezbollah strongholds in Lebanon in retaliation.

Rockets from the Syrian side regularly crash into Shiite towns and villages near the border with Syria. Twice this month, rockets slammed into the Hezbollah stronghold known as Dahyeh, south of the Lebanese capital, Beirut.

In the most ominous sign yet that the sectarian war in Syria has begun to consume Lebanon, a car bomb tore through a heavily guarded sector of the area Tuesday, wounding 53 people.

The Syrian conflict, now in its third year with over 93,000 people killed, has pitted overwhelmingly Sunni rebels against Assad's regime, which is dominated by Alawites, an offshoot sect of Shiite Islam.

It has also become a regional struggle for influence between Shiite Iran on one side and major Sunni power Saudi Arabia on the other, backed by smaller Gulf Arab states.

Ordinary Lebanese like Farhat are paying the price.

"People start living in fear because they always think that they will be next," he told The Associated Press.

He recounted his ordeal on the phone, speaking from a village in Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley, where he returned with his wife and their young daughter. The family has been forced to move in with his parents.

Follow Barbara Surk at http://www.twitter.com/BarbaraSurkAP

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • 13 gunmen killed in clash with Mexican soldiers

    Authorities say Mexican soldiers killed 13 gunmen in a clash in the northern state of Zacatecas.

  •  

Anti-abortion protesters holding placards walk through Ireland's capital, Dublin, in an anti-abortion protest Saturday, July 6, 2013. More than 35,000 activists marched to the parliament building to oppose Irish government plans to enact a bill legalizing terminations for women in life-threatening pregnancies. The Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill is expected to be passed into law next week.

    Irish lawmakers back `life saving' abortion bill

    Lawmakers overwhelmingly voted Friday to back Ireland's first bill on abortion, legalizing the practice in exceptional cases where doctors deem the woman's life at risk from her pregnancy, as the predominantly Catholic country took its first legislative step away from an outright ban.

  • Family prepares to bury soldier killed in London

    Relatives of a British soldier killed in broad daylight by alleged Islamic extremists say they are profoundly grateful for the support they have received from the public ahead of his funeral on Friday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category