Falling tree hurts 15 at San Diego Marine depot

 

Similar stories:

  • Teen injured at Calif. camp heard crack, screaming

  • Standing tall

  • Man wrongfully arrested for Brownsville murder released from jail

  • Chuck Hagel pledges to help Camp Lejeune water victims

  • Scientists find Camp Lejeune water contamination went back to 1953

The Associated Press

A towering Eucalyptus tree fell Thursday morning during a family event at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, injuring 15 people, most of whom suffered scrapes and bruises.

Two people - an 8-year-old girl and a 77-year-old woman - were taken to a nearby hospital for observation, Maj. Neil Ruggiero said.

There were no broken bones and no Marines were injured.

The tree toppled at about 9 a.m. Thursday as a drill sergeant was talking to the group on a lawn. Most of those attending were family members of Marines who will graduate Friday from boot camp. The families had just gathered to watch the recruits pass during a motivational run, Ruggiero said.

It was unclear what caused the tree to fall. There was no wind at the time, but it's possible an earlier rain had loosened the tree's shallow roots, Ruggiero said.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Death of Arizona serial killer ruled a suicide

    The death of a convicted Arizona serial killer whose body was discovered last month in an isolation cell was ruled a suicide Thursday by a medical examiner who said the gunman who once terrorized Phoenix had overdosed on antidepressants.

  •  

Deborah Hersman of the National Transportation Safety Board speaks in front of a photograph of the wreckage of Asiana Flight 214, which crashed on Saturday, July 6, 2013, at San Francisco International Airport, at a news conference in South San Francisco, Calif., Thursday, July 11, 2013.

    10 Things to Know for Friday

    Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:

  • Panel suggests $7.7M breakdown of Newtown payments

    Preliminary recommendations on $7.7 million in donations collected after the Connecticut school shooting calls for giving $281,000 to each of the families of the 26 children and school educators killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category