Stars pray for Randy Travis after brain surgery

 

AP Music Writer

Travis' illness comes as he's been trying to put his life back together following a series of embarrassing public incidents involving alcohol. Travis pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in January following an arrest last year and received two years of probation and a $2,000 fine. He was required to spend at least 30 days at an alcohol treatment facility and complete 100 hours of community service.

He recently made several public appearances, including a spot on the Country Music Association Festival's nightly concert lineup and a poignant performance at George Jones' funeral.

Nancy Jones flew to Plano from Nashville to be with Travis and his fiancee, Mary Beougher, Webster said. She played a CD of some of Jones' classic songs for Travis.

"Randy and George Jones were good friends," Nancy Jones said in an email to The Associated Press. "When I was dealing with George's issues a few months ago, both Randy and Mary were right there for me. I had to get on a plane and come see him. I love him and I know that George is looking over him during this time."

Webster said Travis is surrounded by family and friends, including his brother, Dennis Traywick, and his pastor, Jeff Perry. Kenny Rogers, the Oak Ridge Boys, Chuck Norris, Lyle Lovett, Ray Price and several others have called to check in on Travis.

The North Carolina-born Travis is a traditional country purist known for hits "Forever and Ever, Amen" and "I Told You So." His 1986 Warner Bros. debut album "Storms of Life" sold 3 million copies, and helped return country music to the sound of Hank Williams and George Jones.

"I always feel like he's part of our family, he's in our family," Keith Urban said in an interview Wednesday morning in Nashville. "And I was one of those guys in Australia that bought 'Storms of Life' and became a Randy fan very quickly in late '80s, and I really feel for him right now."

---

Associated Press writer Kristin M. Hall in Nashville and AP Medical Writer Lauran Neergaard in Washington contributed to this report.

Follow AP Music Writer Chris Talbott: http://twitter.com/Chris-Talbott.

Read more People Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  

FILE - In this Sept. 21, 2012 file photo, Lil Wayne performs at the iHeart Radio Music Festival at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas. Lil Wayne and Rick Ross, two of the most celebrated and successful artists in rap today, recently lost major endorsements after protests forced high profile corporations to drop the rap stars. Both artists rapped lyrics deemed vulgar and over-the-top; one referring to rape, the other about the beating of Emmett Till, on songs where they were the featured acts.

    Could rap lyrics shift after Wayne, Ross mishaps?

    Since it began, rap has found ways to offend. Whether for political content, sexual imagery, misogyny, violence or coarse humor, rappers have found themselves having to defend their words on a regular basis, no matter how innocuous - or extreme.

  • India's legendary actor Pran dies at 93

    Bollywood's legendary actor Pran, who played both heroes and villains in several Hindi film classics over six decades, died of pneumonia at Mumbai's Lilavati Hospital on Friday, his doctor said. He was 93.

  •  

This undated photo provided by the American Museum of Natural History shows a rare 19th century 55.08-carat diamond has gone on temporary view at the museum in New York. The Kimberley Diamond gets its name from the mine in South Africa where it was found sometime before 1868.  It was cut from a 490-carat crystal. The champagne-colored, emerald-cut diamond will be on display through the end of June 2014.

    55-carat diamond goes on temporary view in NYC

    A rare 19th century 55-carat diamond has gone on temporary view at New York's American Museum of Natural History.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category