US slams Syria bid for UN Human Rights Council

 

Similar stories:

  • Watchdog group: Cuba cheated on its UN human rights review

  • Reaction muted among Latin UN diplomats to Rice’s move

  • Opposition condemns Syrian rebel blockade

  • Iran’s president-elect may shift country’s policies toward Persian Gulf, Israel

  • Bahrain: Iran can help ease Syrian civil war

Associated Press

The United States on Thursday slammed Syria and Iran for seeking seats on the U.N.'s Human Rights Council, saying their own rights violations are under U.N. investigation.

Iran said later Thursday it had dropped out of the race after contemplating a campaign earlier this year.

Syria remains a candidate to join the 47-nation council, along with other often-criticized nations such as Cuba, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Vietnam and Russia.

Syria is embroiled in a brutal civil war, with human rights groups blaming both President Basher Assad's government and rebels for abuses. Iran, a key Syrian ally, is criticized for jailing political prisoners and executing drug offenders.

U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Rosemary DiCarlo told reporters that "attempts by either country to join the Human Rights Council are highly inappropriate given existing Human Rights Council mandates to investigate human rights violations in these countries, their egregious records on human rights and their ongoing collaboration to suppress the democratic aspirations of the Syrian people."

A spokesman for Iran's U.N. Mission, Alireza Miryousefi, confirmed late Thursday that Iran had withdrawn its candidacy back in February.

The 193-member U.N. General Assembly will vote in November to elect 14 nations to three-year terms on the council.

Regional groups within the General Assembly hold caucuses to select their preferred candidates.

Read more Nation Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • Pakistani teenager shot by Taliban comes to UN

    A new report released to mark the 16th birthday of a Pakistani teenager shot by the Taliban for promoting education for girls says 57 million children around the world are not going to school, and half live in conflict-affected countries.

  •  

Eliot Spitzer tries to collect signatures for his run for New York City Comptroller in New York, Monday, July 8, 2013. Former Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who stepped down in 2008 amid a prostitution scandal, says he is planning a political comeback with a run for New York City comptroller.

    Spitzer submits signatures for NYC ballot

    Eliot Spitzer has met the deadline to file thousands of petition signatures for his bid to revive his political career by running for New York City comptroller.

  • Ethiopian suspected of torture to go to trial

    An Ethiopian immigrant who prosecutors suspect tortured and killed dozens of political prisoners in his home country in the 1970s has decided to proceed to trial on immigration charges.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category