Mali's government returns to key northern city

 

Associated Press

The governor of a key city in northern Mali that was under rebel control until last week returned for the first time since the region fell to Tuareg separatists and al-Qaida-linked fighters 16 months ago.

Col. Adama Kamissoko arrived by plane around midday Thursday accompanied by Malian and U.N. officials, vowing to prepare Kidal for a highly anticipated election at the end of the month.

"I am very happy to be back in this part of the country, and the message I am bringing to the population is to turn out in large numbers for the presidential election so they can elect a president of their choice," Kamissoko said.

Like the rest of northern Mali, Kidal fell to a mixture of rebel groups following a military coup in March 2012. France launched a military intervention in January, driving the rebels out of all the other major towns.

But Tuareg rebels re-entered Kidal in February and March of this year, erecting roadblocks, levying taxes and creating a de facto Tuareg state.

After intense international wrangling, the Tuareg groups controlling Kidal signed an agreement at a summit last month in Burkina Faso, paving the way for the return of Mali's military on July 5.

The agreement was seen as removing one of the major obstacles to the upcoming election planned for July 28.

Kamissoko said Thursday that preparing for the election would be his first order of business now that he is back on the job.

"Upon our arrival, my team has begun working on the electoral and distribution lists for Kidal and the other cities in the region," he said.

Not everyone believes that preparations will be completed on time.

Tiebile Drame, a former government minister who represented Mali in the Burkina Faso talks last month, said this week that it would be impossible to organize a vote in Kidal by July 28. He has submitted a formal request to the Constitutional Court for a delay to the election.

Meanwhile, Tuareg leaders have indicated they are unhappy with the implementation of the deal brokered with the Malian government last month.

Mahamadou Djeri Maiga, vice president of the rebel National Movement for the Liberation of the Azawad, said arbitrary arrests of Tuaregs had continued, citing the case of two men he said were arrested Wednesday when they traveled to the town of Mopti to obtain their voting cards.

Maiga estimated 700 Tuaregs remained incarcerated in southern Mali, even though last month's accord included an agreement to work toward the liberation of many of those who were detained during the struggle for the north.

"The accord could be under threat because the concessions are only coming from our side," Maiga said.

He said he wanted mediators at last month's talks to ask Mali's government to free remaining Tuareg prisoners.

AP writer Brahima Ouedraogo contributed reporting from Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  • 13 gunmen killed in clash with Mexican soldiers

    Authorities say Mexican soldiers killed 13 gunmen in a clash in the northern state of Zacatecas.

  •  

Anti-abortion protesters holding placards walk through Ireland's capital, Dublin, in an anti-abortion protest Saturday, July 6, 2013. More than 35,000 activists marched to the parliament building to oppose Irish government plans to enact a bill legalizing terminations for women in life-threatening pregnancies. The Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill is expected to be passed into law next week.

    Irish lawmakers back `life saving' abortion bill

    Lawmakers overwhelmingly voted Friday to back Ireland's first bill on abortion, legalizing the practice in exceptional cases where doctors deem the woman's life at risk from her pregnancy, as the predominantly Catholic country took its first legislative step away from an outright ban.

  • Family prepares to bury soldier killed in London

    Relatives of a British soldier killed in broad daylight by alleged Islamic extremists say they are profoundly grateful for the support they have received from the public ahead of his funeral on Friday.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category