95-year-old man sets records as competitive runner

 

The Associated Press

You might say Orville Rogers is a late bloomer.

The 95-year-old began getting in shape by running at age 50. And he started competing as a runner even later in life. Rogers began running in master's track and field events five years ago, and the Dallas man now has more than a dozen medals and records.

The WWII and Korean War veteran says he started running the day after reading "Aerobics" by Dr. Kenneth Cooper. That was 1968 - and he never looked back.

Cooper became Rogers' physician and says Rogers is a testament to getting in better shape as you age. One thing Rogers is proud of is having run a 10-minute mile in recent years.

Rogers says he'll compete in events at a Kansas track meet this weekend.

Watch the video here: http://bit.ly/15yMIxA

Read more Other Sports stories from the Miami Herald

  • South Florida Outdoor Notebook

    Commercial and recreational red snapper harvest seasons will not open in July in federal or state waters of the South Atlantic. NOAA Fisheries is currently reviewing a proposed rule to determine if and when a limited harvest season might open this year and how many fish can be caught. The agency said it will give 30 days’ notice in advance of a possible harvest season opening. For more information, visit safmc.net.

  • South Florida Fishing Report

    Captain Mark Schmidt of Sundancer Charters out of Murrays Marina in Key West reported permits, barracudas and sharks have been plentiful on the shallow flats around Key West. Tarpon have been active in the mornings. Bottom fishing the rock piles on the Oceanside and Gulf side has produced quality catches of mutton, mangrove and yellowtail snappers plus large red groupers. A lot of dolphin are biting offshore, with most fish on the small size, but some larger dolphin are also being caught. Nighttime mangrove snapper fishing has been excellent on the offshore reefs.

  •  

FILE - In this May 5, 2013 file photo, Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee speaks during the Ohio State University spring commencement in Columbus, Ohio. Records show former Ohio State University president Gordon Gee took his time apologizing for remarks jabbing Roman Catholics, Notre Dame and Southeastern Conference schools, despite a letter from university trustees ordering him to begin the process promptly.

    APNewsBreak: Ohio St. president slow to apologize

    Former Ohio State University President Gordon Gee took his time apologizing for remarks he made that were critical of the University of Notre Dame, Roman Catholics and Southeastern Conference schools, among several of his targets during off-the-cuff comments last year, records show.

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category