Sam Mendes returning to direct 24th Bond film

 
 

FILE - In this June 25, 2013 file photo, director Sam Mendes arrives for the opening night of the musical "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," at the Drury Lane Theatre in central London. Mendes is coming back to direct another James Bond film with Daniel Craig following the enormously successful “Skyfall.” Mendes had suggested “Skyfall” would be his lone entry in the 007 canon, but Bond producers and Sony Pictures announced his return Thursday, July 11.
FILE - In this June 25, 2013 file photo, director Sam Mendes arrives for the opening night of the musical "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," at the Drury Lane Theatre in central London. Mendes is coming back to direct another James Bond film with Daniel Craig following the enormously successful “Skyfall.” Mendes had suggested “Skyfall” would be his lone entry in the 007 canon, but Bond producers and Sony Pictures announced his return Thursday, July 11.
Invision / Photo by Joel Ryan

The Associated Press

Sam Mendes is coming back to direct another James Bond film with Daniel Craig following the enormously successful "Skyfall."

The British director Mendes had said earlier that "Skyfall" would be his lone entry in the 007 canon, but Bond producers and Sony Pictures announced his return Thursday.

Mendes recently debuted an adaptation of "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" in London. He's also mounting "King Lear" for the National Theatre.

Mendes says in a statement "that by giving me the time I need to honor all my theater commitments, the producers have made it possible for me to direct Bond 24."

The as-yet-titled Bond film is scheduled to be released in fall 2015. The script is by "Skyfall" screenwriter John Logan.

Released last year, "Skyfall" made more than $1.1 billion worldwide.

Read more Movies Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category