Paul brings bill to halt US aid to Egypt post-coup

 
 
FILE - In this June 13, 2013 file photo, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky. speaks in Washington, Thursday, June 13, 2013. Paul has introduced a bill to halt the $1.5 billion in annual U.S. aid to Egypt, the first such legislation since the military's overthrow of the government.
FILE - In this June 13, 2013 file photo, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky. speaks in Washington, Thursday, June 13, 2013. Paul has introduced a bill to halt the $1.5 billion in annual U.S. aid to Egypt, the first such legislation since the military's overthrow of the government.
Charles Dharapak, File / AP Photo

Associated Press

A Republican lawmaker introduced a bill Thursday to halt the $1.5 billion in annual U.S. aid to Egypt, the first such legislation since last week's military overthrow of the government.

Several senators have urged the suspension of military and other funds for Egypt because of a U.S. law prohibiting foreign assistance after coups. But the Obama administration insists the money as vital to U.S. national security interests - a position it reiterated Thursday after Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., demanded an end to more than three decades of American support for Egypt.

"The overthrow of the Egyptian government was a coup d'etat, and the law is clear that when a coup takes place, foreign aid must stop," Paul said in a statement.

He criticized President Barack Obama for refusing to label the government takeover a "coup" and for continuing to send Egypt assistance. The president, Paul said, "is forthrightly saying, 'I am ignoring the rule of law.'"

The bill is unlikely to pass. Despite criticism of the military from some American lawmakers, many believe Mohammed Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood-led government was taking Egypt down an increasingly undemocratic path.

The administration is hopeful a civilian government will be restored in the coming months.

"While we are concerned about events that lead to the removal of President Morsi from office, the fact is that millions of Egyptians do not see what happened as a coup," White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters Thursday. He said Egyptians "amply demonstrated that there should be a change in government."

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category