Pistons agree to 2-year deal with Chauncey Billups

 

AP Sports Writer

Chauncey Billups wanted to stay with the Detroit Pistons for the rest of his career.

Now, the team that traded him away wants him back.

Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars confirmed Thursday morning that Billups and the team have agreed to terms on a contract.

Billups is getting a two-year deal, the first season is guaranteed, for $2.5 million each year.

"I never wanted to leave here. Everyone knows that," he said on Jan. 26, 2011, after making a flurry of 3-pointers late in a game to help Denver win in Detroit. "I wanted to retire here."

He's back to help the Pistons as a pass-first point guard, who can make 3-point shots. And, he will be expected to mentor 21-year-old Brandon Knight and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, the No. 8 overall pick in the draft, in the backcourt and off the court.

Detroit dealt to Denver on Nov. 3, 2008, when the franchise decided its championship-winning window had closed. The Pistons are almost 100 games under .500 since making the unpopular and unsuccessful move. The Pistons traded Billups in part to speed the development of Rodney Stuckey, to see if Allen Iverson could provide a spark while his contract expired and to clear salary-cap space for the future.

"It was just a season of inevitable change and inevitable pain," Dumars said after the 2008-09 season ended by getting swept in the first round by the LeBron James-led Cleveland Cavaliers. "Although it was a tough year, we also knew it was a necessary process if you're trying to position yourself to remain relevant."

Stuckey, who is still with the team, never became a dependable point guard. The millions spent in the summer of 2009 on free agents Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva turned out to be wasted. The Pistons traded Gordon last summer, basically to get his contract off the books, to Charlotte for a first-round pick. Detroit could still deal Villanueva, who is entering the last year of his deal, to a team that might want to take on his expiring contract later this summer or during the upcoming season.

The Pistons, 148-244 since trading Billups, are in a four-year postseason drought that is their longest since missing six straight from 1978 through 1983.

Billups, a five-time All-Star, turns 37 in September.

He tore his left Achilles tendon during the 2011-12 season, when he was limited to 20 game with the Los Angeles Clippers, and bounced back last season to play 22 games for them.

Billups has averaged 15.4 points - making 42 percent of his 3-pointers - and 5.5 assists during his career.

Boston drafted him out of Colorado with the No. 3 pick in the 1997 draft. He went on to be on rosters in Toronto, with his hometown Nuggets, Orlando, Minnesota, Detroit, back to Denver, New York and the Clippers.

He bounced around early in his career and has lately, but has always had fans at The Palace, which hasn't been the same buzz-filled building it once was since he was sent away. When Billups played his first game there after the trade on March 3, 2009, his signature introduction - "Buh! Buh! Buh! Billups! - set off a standing ovation that lasted a couple of minutes and led to him blowing kisses in each direction.

Back then, Billups said it was the most emotional regular season game he's experienced in his 12-year career.

"I may forget the game and what happened," he said. "But the ovation and warm welcome the fans gave me, I'll never forget."

It's easy to forget how good the Pistons were after they signed him as a free agent in 2002.

With his steady play on the court and calm demeanor off it, Billups helped the Pistons win a title and come within a victory of repeating while reaching at least the Eastern Conference finals in each of his six full seasons with them. The Magic Johnson-led Los Angeles Lakers are the only other franchise to play in six straight conference finals since 1970-71, when teams had to win two series to advance that far.

The Pistons, though, seemed to be fading as a championship contender when it won just two games in three straight conference finals before sending Billups away. As the Pistons try to make a climb back toward being a relevant NBA team, a goal that was helped by signing Josh Smith on Wednesday, they want Billups to return.

Follow Larry Lage on Twitter: http://twitter.com/larrylage

Read more Basketball stories from the Miami Herald

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category