Pistons' English aims to stay on his game

 

ORLANDO, Fla. - Detroit Pistons second-year shooting guard Kim English understands the math well.

With agreements earlier this week with Italian star Luigi Datome, point guard Will Bynum and with contracts coming for draft picks Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Tony Mitchell, the Pistons are quickly approaching the roster limit of 15.

And with the Friday deadline for the Pistons to guarantee his contract for next season, English knows the stakes during summer-league play.

English said he isn't worried about something that is beyond his control.

"Just going out and playing," he said after Tuesday's loss to the Thunder. "I don't really take stock in anything other than this quarter or this possession or this game. Everything else is really out of my control.

"I'm a little different than the average human. If I'm playing great or if I'm playing awful, I'm thinking of the next. Next play, next game, that's the nature of the NBA. What you do next is what makes you, how consistently you can do it. I try not to think too much about anything."

Counting the deals Caldwell-Pope and Mitchell will eventually receive, the Pistons roster is at 14.

Point guard Peyton Siva, a second-round pick last month, has been solid, but that doesn't necessarily mean he and English are competing for the last roster spot. The Pistons could choose to leave a spot open.

English, a 2012 second-round pick, has improved his ball-handling. It's apparent he has worked on his game. But he has shot poorly, going 5-for-23 (21.7 percent) in three summer-league games.

English remains confident that even if the Pistons decide to part ways, he will find a landing spot.

"I'm just playing. I think I'll be in this league a long time with my ability to shoot the ball and defend," English said. "I'm just staying in the moment, and I'll keep playing."

Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars said Wednesday that no decision has been made on English's status.

- MONEY MATTERS: The salary cap for the 2013-14 season has been set at $58.7 million with the tax threshold at $71.7 million. Dumars said the Pistons are $4 million under the cap.

Free Press Sports Writer Perry A. Farrell contributed to this report.

Read more Basketball stories from the Miami Herald

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category