River Cities Gazette

Pyrotechnics crew puts a blast in Miami Springs' Fourth celebration

 
Upload and share your own.

You can share related videos and photos.

Submit: Video Pictures Stories

River Cities Gazette

    Fred Mowry III and his crew have put the blast in Miami Springs fireworks for more than 20 years. Originally from Homestead, he has lived for 25 years in Live Oak, (near the Florida/Georgia border) where he has a small farm.

    “I never claim to be an expert on explosives because experts blow themselves up,” Mowry said. “But I’ve been doing this for 35 years.”

    According to Mowry, someone in his family has been in the explosives business for 60-70 years. His father, Fred Mowry Jr., wrote the draft for the first explosives laws in the state and Miami-Dade County.

    Mowry is contracted by Gary Avins, owner of Fire Power, a company based in Princeton, a small community in south Miami-Dade County. Avins designs the show, for which the city pays $15,000.

    “I like the people of Miami Springs because we’ve never had a problem with spectators, authorities or pyrotechnics,” Mowry said. “Residents should be proud of their law enforcement and elected officials for making this enjoyable. I’ve been places where it’s a disaster from politics on down because people want to get involved with what we do. That doesn’t happen here.”

    This year the pyrotechnicians started setting up their equipment on the evening of July 3. With his crew of five (mostly family members), Mowry estimated that it takes 150-200 worker hours to prepare the show. That doesn’t include tearing it down, picking up all the equipment, including duds, if any, and removing blasting tubes.

    “We get here early to set up so if it rains, it won’t affect us,” Mowry said on the afternoon of July 4. “We’ve been loaded and ready since last night.”

    In pyrotechnics lingo, Mowry explained that the setup has 150 squibs that are ignited with an electric match. Each match sets off from three to 30 sets of explosives that create the 20- to 30-minute fireworks display.

    The fireworks are Chinese-made and the display is designed to use the biggest explosions possible for the site size.

    Mowry said Fire Power never scrimps.

    “The shooter, my son-in-law (button pusher) and myself are behind a downhill barricade,” Mowry said. “The rest of the crew acts as security to keep an eye out for encroachers. If that happens, the show stops. What we do is a lot safer than home stuff. People can be injured or killed. I teach my crew everything about safety before they progress in the business.”

    Mowry said his show can go on even in the rain but it doesn’t make for a good display. Also, winds over 5-6 mph can alter the effect. The only thing that puts the brakes on a show is lightning because it can cause everything to fire at once. Spectacular, but not safe for the crew.

    “If it rains,” Mowry said, “we get wet like everyone else but the show will go on.”

    Fortunately, the weather was perfect for this year’s fireworks show; however, five minutes after it ended, the skies opened up and drenched onlookers on their way to their cars.

    It was still a blast!

 

Read more River Cities stories from the Miami Herald

  •  

AREN'T THEY CUTE: The baby contest in the Dynasty Room at the Miami Springs Country Club brought out the red, white and blue attire for all of these little ones.

    Annual parade, baby contest highlight many Miami Springs Fourth of July events

    The annual Miami Springs Fourth of July Parade, featuring a procession of floats, decorated vehicles and performers was one of many activities over a two-day period last week which also included a car show the night before, baby contest during the day and capped off by a spectacular fireworks show that evening.

  •  

FIRE IN THE SKY: The Fourth of July fireworks show in Miami Springs last week was designed by Fred Mowry III, who was contracted by Fire Power.

    Pyrotechnics crew puts a blast in Miami Springs' Fourth celebration

    Fred Mowry III and his pyrotechnics crew have put the blast in Miami Springs fireworks for more than 20 years and last week was no exception as the "family-run operation" put on another great show.

  • End of an Era: Tom Curtis sells Dolphin Digest

    After 40 years under the ownership of Miami Springs resident, former Miami Dolphin and River Cities Gazette Publisher Tom Curtis, Dolphin Digest has a new owner. Curtis sold the publication a few weeks ago to American Sports Media ending a four-decade era of Dolphin coverage.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK