Suspect tells police Hernandez admitted shooting

 

The Hartford Courant

A Bristol man charged in connection with the Aaron Hernandez murder case told police he didn't see who shot the victim, but that he was told by another man who was present that Hernandez admitted to killing Odin Lloyd.

Carlos Ortiz said he fell asleep in the back of a car in which the men were riding and only awoke when he saw the others get out to go to the bathroom. He said he only heard gunshots.

Ortiz told Massachusetts investigators after his arrest in late June that he couldn't see who fired the shots because it was so dark in the lot of a North Attleborough industrial park early on June 17. Hernandez, the former New England Patriots star and Bristol, Conn., native, is charged with murder.

Ortiz told police only Hernandez and Ernest Wallace, a second Bristol man who had driven to Massachusetts with Ortiz earlier that evening, returned to the vehicle before they went to Hernandez's home, less than a mile away.

Ortiz said it wasn't until late in the afternoon of the next day when Ortiz and Wallace were returning home to Bristol that "Wallace told him that Hernandez admitted to shooting Mr. Lloyd," court records related to Wallace's arrest indicate.

The two men drove to 114 Lake Ave. in Bristol before going their separate ways. The Chrysler 300 they drove back from Massachusetts in was later confiscated by Bristol police. Wallace fled to his parents' home in Florida before turning himself in.

The details of Ortiz's version of events on the night Lloyd was murdered are contained in an affidavit used by Florida police to get a search warrant for the home of Angela Wallace, Ernest Wallace's mother, in Miramar, Fla.

Police were searching for the gun used in the murder as well as the clothes that Wallace may have worn that night. Documents show they did not find a gun in the home, although they confiscated clothes.

Neither Ortiz nor Wallace apparently tried hard to elude police after the murder. Wallace was seen by neighbors swimming in the backyard pool at his mother's Florida home a few days before he turned himself in.

Ortiz was arrested when he showed up for a long-scheduled meeting with his probation officer in Bristol court on June 25. Ortiz agreed to give them a statement.

His account of the shooting, combined with court records released Tuesday, bring the prosecution's case into sharper focus, further establishing connections between Hernandez, his two friends from Bristol also charged in the shooting, and the victim.

But nothing in the 156 pages of documents indicates who the government believes pulled the trigger. The gun used in the slaying has not been found.

The records, including documents that detail the items seized through search warrants executed at Hernandez's Massachusetts home, an apartment he owned and for automobiles he rented, show that police recovered a surveillance video from Fayston Street in Boston, where victim Lloyd lived, showing him getting into a car with Hernandez and his friends at 2:33 a.m on June 17.

A minute earlier, records indicate, Lloyd received the last of five cellphone calls from Ernest Wallace, one of two Bristol men that Hernandez had texted earlier in the night to come up to Massachusetts.

Surveillance video shows the car entering the industrial park, where Lloyd's body was found, sometime after 3 a.m. Lloyd had sent a series of text messages to his sister to tell her he was with Hernandez, whom he referred to as "NFL." Witnesses who worked nearby told investigators they heard gunshots between 3 and 3:30 a.m.

Read more Football Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  

FILE - In this Jan. 20, 2013 file photo, New England Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard walks along the sideline during the second half of the NFL football AFC Championship football game against the Baltimore Ravens in Foxborough, Mass.Dennard has been arrested and accused of driving drunk in Lincoln where he once starred as a Nebraska defensive back. Lincoln police say 24-year-old Dennard was pulled over southeast of downtown Lincoln just before 2 a.m. Thursday, July 11, 2013.

    Patriots' Dennard accused of DUI in Nebraska

    Alfonzo Dennard of the New England Patriots was arrested Thursday in Nebraska and accused of driving drunk in the state where he once starred as a defensive back.

  •  

FILE - In this Jan. 20, 2013 file photo, New England Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard walks along the sideline during the second half of the NFL football AFC Championship football game against the Baltimore Ravens in Foxborough, Mass.Dennard has been arrested and accused of driving drunk in Lincoln where he once starred as a Nebraska defensive back. Lincoln police say 24-year-old Dennard was pulled over southeast of downtown Lincoln just before 2 a.m. Thursday, July 11, 2013.

    Patriots' Dennard accused of DUI in Nebraska

    Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was arrested and accused of drunk driving Thursday in Nebraska while on probation for assaulting a police officer, the second New England player to get in serious legal trouble this summer.

  •  

FILE - Former New England Patriots football tight end Aaron Hernandez stands during a bail hearing in Fall River Superior Court in this June 27, 2013 file photo taken in Fall River, Mass. An associate of former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez said he was told Hernandez fired the shots that resulted in the death of a semi-pro football player, according to documents filed in Florida.  The records say Hernandez associate Carlos Ortiz told Massachusetts investigators that another man, Ernest Wallace, said Hernandez shot Lloyd in an industrial park near Hernandez's home in North Attleborough.

    Column: The real cost of the NFL's business

    In the past few months, more than two dozen NFL players and a sprinkling of front-office executives have been arrested for crimes ranging from petty to deadly.

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category