Portugal crisis abates, but expected to return

 

Associated Press

Portugal's fiscal health has improved over the course of its bailout program - the deficit fell to 6.4 percent of GDP last year from 10.1 percent in 2010 - but the sacrifices made are now at risk.

The chance of a compromise plan is slim. Austerity policies, such as pay cuts and tax hikes, have already split the two governing coalition partners and angered the main opposition Socialist Party, which wants to change course toward growth measures and is still insisting on early elections.

Coaxing the parties to overcome their differences won't be easy and could backfire by driving them further apart.

"This could go very well or very badly," Jornal de Negocios said in an editorial Thursday.

The three parties said they would consider holding talks, but their perfunctory responses demonstrated how they were stunned by the president's unanticipated proposal, which heralded what will likely be weeks of political jockeying for advantage.

One thing the head of state did seem to get right was catching the mood of the people, as the Portuguese increasingly express ill-feeling toward squabbling politicians.

The politicians "have to unite and to say yes" to the president's proposal, said Maria Luisa Sousa, who was selling fish at Lisbon's Ribeira market, next to the River Tagus. "It doesn't work if the parties pull one way and then the other. They cannot govern that way. We have to have faith now, we will see. It could work."

Market shopper Helena Antunes, 57, was less confident. "Our politicians have no class," she said. "Everybody knows they are the ones that sacrifice people, but they don't sacrifice themselves."

A protest erupted in Parliament when several dozen demonstrators in the public gallery yelled "Resign!" at lawmakers and threw down confetti of red and yellow cards, used in sport to signify admonishments.

Read more Politics Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category