Broncos' Heckert facing DUI charges

 

The Sports Network

Denver Broncos director of pro personnel Tom Heckert is facing charges of driving under the influence, stemming from a June arrest.

Heckert was pulled over and detained on June 11 in Parker, a suburb just over 20 miles from downtown Denver. He was charged with driving under the influence and careless driving, according to the Denver Post on Tuesday, which cited a report from the Douglass County Sheriff's department. That report stated Heckert may have been weaving before he was stopped by police.

"We were made aware of the matter involving Tom Heckert immediately after it occurred and promptly notified the league office. His arrest is extremely upsetting, and this situation is being handled internally as well as in coordination with NFL policies," said the team in a statement issued on Tuesday. "Tom's actions are obviously part of a disturbing pattern of irresponsible behavior that we are aggressively addressing within our organization.

"One member of the Broncos arrested for driving under the influence is one too many. This type of behavior puts innocent people at risk and cannot be tolerated. While our team and league supply plenty of resources to prevent these situations, it is clear we need to do better.

"We are thoroughly reviewing the procedures we have in place and will do whatever it takes to enhance their effectiveness going forward."

It's the second time in as many days the franchise has endured the revelation that a member of its front-office staff was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. On Monday, word came down that director of player personnel Matt Russell was arrested over the weekend in Breckenridge County, CO, after colliding with several vehicles, one of them a police SUV.

Heckert was hired on May 7. He most recently served as general manager for the Cleveland Browns from 2010-12 and was in the same position with the Philadelphia Eagles from 2006-09.

"I am extremely disappointed that in my short time with the Broncos I have made such a serious mistake. My actions last month have brought embarrassment to the organization, and I fully understand the consequences that are involved. I am truly sorry and take complete responsibility for this situation," Heckert said in his own statement.

"Although I have let many people down, I will learn from this and work toward regaining the trust that I have lost."

Read more Football Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category