Court docs: Companion says Hernandez admitted shooting Lloyd

 

The Sports Network

Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez reportedly told a friend he pulled the trigger in the execution- style killing of Odin Lloyd last month.

The Boston Herald was one media source that reported, according to a police interview with another Hernandez associate, Carlos Ortiz, Hernandez told pal Ernest Wallace that he shot Lloyd on June 17. The report states that Ortiz's statement appeared in documents filed in a Florida court by the Miramar, Fla. police department. The documents were to justify a search of Wallace's home there.

According to the newspaper, the Florida documents also say investigators were working the case in Bristol, Conn. found a car that was rented in Hernandez's name. That vehicle was being sought after related to a July 2012 double- homicide probe in Boston.

Earlier Tuesday, a Massachusetts judge released eight search warrants in the murder investigation involving Hernandez, who has pleaded not guilty to murder and gun charges in the death of Lloyd. A judge has denied bail for Hernandez, who is being held in a Massachusetts jail.

Lloyd, a semi-pro football player, was found dead at an industrial park in North Attleboro not far from Hernandez's home.

The records total 156 pages and summarize the investigation into the death of Lloyd.

According to an affidavit attached to search warrants, Hernandez was "argumentative" when police told him they were "conducting a death investigation."

Police searched his home and a reported "flop house" several times during the investigation. During the searches, police said they found ammunition matching the caliber of gun used in Lloyd's killing as well as a white-hooded sweatshirt and baseball cap worn by Hernandez the night Lloyd died.

Despite all of the searches, police acknowledge they have not recovered the .45-caliber gun used to kill Lloyd.

Hernandez and Lloyd were at Rumor nightclub in Boston the Friday night before his murder. They got so drunk that night they never made it back into Hernandez's house and slept outside.

Hernandez's attorneys have said the evidence against him is circumstantial.

Ortiz and Wallace have also been implicated in the case but currently face lesser charges. All three have pleaded not guilty.

Read more Football Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category