Top-seeded Querrey ousted by Smyczek in Newport

 

Associated Press

Beating one of his country's top players and the tournament's No. 1 seed meant a lot to Tim Smyczek.

Smyczek defeated fellow American Sam Querrey in the opening round of the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships 6-4, 7-6 (8) on Tuesday on Newport's grass courts.

"I think it's the first time I've ever beaten a No. 1 seed at a tournament. It's definitely a big deal for me," he said. "It was pretty neat to play Sam, who's been one of the top Americans for a long time, somebody I've just tried to catch up to."

Querrey, a 2009 Newport finalist and ranked 21st in the world, was broken in the seventh game by the 120th-ranked Smyczek.

"I couldn't really find a flow out there. I was a little off the whole time," Querrey said.

In the tiebreaker, Querrey saved match point twice - both with aces - but hit a backhand return into the net on the final point.

It was the second match this year between the two. Querrey won in straight sets at Indian Wells in March.

"I knew he plays aggressive and has a big game," Smyczek said. "I was just trying to keep him from taking it to me."

Querrey seemed frustrated from the start, at one point uttering "ridiculous" to himself after hitting a forehand shot wide in the eighth game in humid conditions, with breaks of sun peeking through mostly cloudy skies.

In the tiebreaker, Smyczek jumped ahead 3-1 before Querrey battled back, grabbing a 5-4 lead. Trailing 6-5, Querrey had the first of his two match-saving aces.

Querrey had 16 aces to Smyczek's two.

Fourth-seeded Lleyton Hewitt, a runner-up in Newport last year, beat fellow Australian Matthew Ebden 6-4, 6-1.

Third-seeded Igor Sijsling of the Netherlands beat Italy's Matteo Viola 6-4, 6-1; Ivo Karlovic of Croatia defeated fifth-seeded Edouard Roger-Vasselin of France 7-6 (5), 6-4; Canadian Vasek Pospisil beat American Denis Kudla 1-6, 6-3, 6-3; and wild card Prakash Amritraj of India beat Italy's Flavio Cipolla 6-2, 6-3.

Jan Hernych of the Czech Republic won a match of qualifiers, defeating Ante Pavic of Croatia 7-6 (6), 6-3. Eighth-seeded American Rajeev Ram beat Adrien Bossel of Switzerland 6-2, 6-2, and American Jack Sock advanced when No. 6-seeded Marinko Matosevic of Australia retired because of food poisoning after losing the first set 6-2.

France's Nicolas Mahut beat American Rhyne Williams 6-2, 6-4; No. 7 seed Kenny De Schepper of France defeated American qualifier Alex Kuznetsov 6-3, 6-4; and American Michael Russell outlasted Illya Marchenko of the Ukraine 6-1, 4-6, 6-4.

Read more Tennis stories from the Miami Herald

Get your Miami Heat Fan Gear!

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category