River Cities Gazette

Miami Springs minors all-stars fall to Kendall in District 8 title game

 
Upload and share your own.

You can share related videos and photos.

Submit: Video Pictures Stories

River Cities Gazette

    Rey, Springs’ starting pitcher, struggled with his control, walking three batters in the last of the first to load the bases. But he struck out Jorge Padron to end the inning.

    From there, Kendall’s Gonzalez settled down and would retire 10 of the next 11 Springs batters. Meanwhile, Rey continued to struggle with the strike zone, walking two more and that, combined with three Kendall hits, including a two-RBI double by Luis Mejia and a key two-out infield error, led to a big five-run second inning that Kendall up 5-3.

    Eddie Vidal took the mound for Springs in the third but fared no better than Rey as Kendall plated four more runs on the strength of three hits, one walk and two errors in the field.

    What had to be tough to watch from Gonzalez-Pino’s perspective was that perhaps his best pitcher, Regalado, spent the first three innings at third base while Rey and Vidal struggled. Cardoso II and Conindres Jr. had both thrown too many pitches in Friday night’s 4-1 semifinal win over Homestead and could not pitch.

    When Vidal complained of an injury to start the fourth inning, finally Regalado went to the mound.

    “My idea was to try and bring him in to close the game,” Gonzalez-Pino said.

    Why not have him out on the mound in the first after Springs had taken that 3-0 lead?

    “Listen, I don’t care what the situation is or what’s at stake,” Gonzalez-Pino said. “Nicholas spent all week in Myrtle Beach (Cal Ripken Camp in South Carolina) and had already thrown a lot of pitches before coming back to town. The one thing I’ll never do is put a young kid in a situation where he is throwing too many pitches in a short amount of time. Even though he certainly was eligible to throw the full 75 pitches allowed in a game, that was never going to happen. I would never risk that. Short work and few pitches was all he was ever going to get.”

    Predictably, Regalado mowed down Kendall batters in the fourth, striking out the side. In the top of the fifth, Springs caught some life when Rey reached first with a one-out infield single, Colindres Jr. walked, Regalado reached on an error at shortstop, scoring Rey, and Cardoso II scored Colindres Jr. from third with a groundout to first base to make it 9-5.

    But Kendall then reached Regalado with three hits in the last of the fifth to get those two runs back before Padron took to the mound for Kendall once Gonzalez had reached his maximum 75-pitch count and retired the final three Springs batters to wrap things up.

    “I’m proud of all of my teammates and the way we played throughout the tournament,” said Regalado. “We got off to a great start today but just couldn’t finish it. It was a great run all the way through.”

    The great run Regalado referred to was the minors’ perfect 4-0 record in the four-team round-robin North pool qualifying tournament where they outscored North Miami, Liberty City and North Miami Beach (twice) by a combined score of 54-12 and then followed that up with a terrific 4-1 win over Homestead last Friday night (July 5) at Prince Field in the District 8 semifinal.

Read more River Cities stories from the Miami Herald

  •  

AREN'T THEY CUTE: The baby contest in the Dynasty Room at the Miami Springs Country Club brought out the red, white and blue attire for all of these little ones.

    Annual parade, baby contest highlight many Miami Springs Fourth of July events

    The annual Miami Springs Fourth of July Parade, featuring a procession of floats, decorated vehicles and performers was one of many activities over a two-day period last week which also included a car show the night before, baby contest during the day and capped off by a spectacular fireworks show that evening.

  •  

FIRE IN THE SKY: The Fourth of July fireworks show in Miami Springs last week was designed by Fred Mowry III, who was contracted by Fire Power.

    Pyrotechnics crew puts a blast in Miami Springs' Fourth celebration

    Fred Mowry III and his pyrotechnics crew have put the blast in Miami Springs fireworks for more than 20 years and last week was no exception as the "family-run operation" put on another great show.

  • End of an Era: Tom Curtis sells Dolphin Digest

    After 40 years under the ownership of Miami Springs resident, former Miami Dolphin and River Cities Gazette Publisher Tom Curtis, Dolphin Digest has a new owner. Curtis sold the publication a few weeks ago to American Sports Media ending a four-decade era of Dolphin coverage.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK