Morsi’s ouster a ‘nightmare’ for Hamas rulers in Gaza Strip

 
 
Palestinian Hamas security guards stand near an Egyptian watch tower on the border with Egypt in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip
Palestinian Hamas security guards stand near an Egyptian watch tower on the border with Egypt in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip
Hatem Moussa / AP

McClatchy Foreign Staff

“We had no warning about this, suddenly they closed the crossing,” said Ashraf Arraf, a 22-year-old Palestinian from Gaza who had traveled to Egypt for medical treatment last month. “I want to be with my family. This is the most important time to be together as a family. It is like telling a Christian family they can’t be together for Christmas.”

An Egyptian military official reached in Al Arish, a border town near Rafah, said Palestinian militants were behind many of the attacks on Egyptian military posts and police checkpoints.

“There are dangerous terrorists from Gaza attempting to disrupt order in Egypt during this sensitive period. We are doing this temporarily to restore order,” he said, though he would not say when Rafah would be reopened. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak for the government.

Palestinians also reported that Egyptian authorities were suddenly pulling Palestinian passengers bound for Gaza off planes, and telling them that because of instability along the Gaza-Egypt border they would be deported until future notice.

“I am basically being told that I cannot go home,” said Mahmoud Abu Hamid, a 28-year-old Palestinian who spoke to McClatchy from Warsaw, Poland. Monday morning, Abu Hamid drove to the airport in Warsaw to board a flight to Cairo. From there, he was planning on driving the five hours to Rafah and cross the border in time to join his family for Ramadan.

“At the airport they told me I could not get on the plane, they said my travel documents were not valid and that I should try again in a few days,” he said.

The online Palestinian news site Electronic Intifada reported that one of its contributors, Yousef M. Aljamal, was deported from Cairo to the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur, where he had stopped in order to obtain an Egyptian visa. “All Palestinians who arrived yesterday were sent back to the countries they came from,” he wrote on Twitter, adding that he had seen Palestinians being deported to Algeria, Jordan, Pakistan, Canada and Malaysia.

Frenkel is a special correspondent for McClatchy, based in Jerusalem.

Read more World Wires stories from the Miami Herald

  •  
FILE - In this Friday, July 5, 2013 file photo, journalists film an Egyptian military attack helicopter flies by the Presidential palace, in Cairo, Egypt. State-run news organizations and independent TV stations and newspapers have enthusiastically backed the military and its crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood, which included shutting down four Islamist TV stations. Their full-throated support reflects how convinced they became over President Mohammed Morsi’s year that the Brotherhood were fundamentally anti-democratic and intertwined with violent extremists.

    Egypt's media embrace military after Morsi ouster

    When autocrat Hosni Mubarak fell after popular protests in 2011, journalist Sabah Hamamou hoped for change at her newspaper, Al-Ahram, the state-owned media flagship with an editorial line firmly controlled by the regime.

  • Italy nixes deportation of Kazakh dissident's wife

    Two months after deporting them, Italy has reversed itself and says it will welcome back the wife and 6-year-old daughter of an exiled businessman who is a foe of Kazakhstan's government.

  • US: Prisoners ending hunger strike at Guantanamo

    Most prisoners on the hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay have resumed eating, the U.S. military said Friday, suggesting a possible end, or at least a pause, to a protest that brought renewed attention to their indefinite detention at the base in Cuba.

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category