Judge faults Guantánamo force-feeding but won't stop it

 

Associated Press

A federal judge ruled Monday that she lacks the authority to halt the force-feeding of prisoners on hunger strike at Guantánamo Bay, while pointedly noting that the practice appears to violate international law and that President Barack Obama can resolve the issue.

District Judge Gladys Kessler said previous rulings already established that the court lacks jurisdiction to stop force-feeding prisoners during the ongoing protest. She rejcted a motion for a preliminary injunction sought by Jihad Diyab, 41, a Syrian man whom the Obama administration disclosed last year has been cleared for release from the U.S. base in Cuba.

Kessler faulted the military's response to the hunger strike, noting a consensus of opinion that the use of a nasogastric tube to feed the men against their will is a violation of medical ethics as well as international prohibitions against inhumane treatment.

"It is perfectly clear from the statements of detainees, as well as the statements from the organizations just cited, that force-feeding is a painful, humiliating and degrading process," she wrote.

The judge wrote "there is an individual who has does have the authority to address the issue," and then quoted a recent speech from Obama in which he criticized the force-feeding of the prisoners at Guantánamo as he said he would renew his efforts to close the prison.

Attorneys for the prisoners were deciding whether to appeal her ruling. They are also awaiting the decision of another judge at U.S. District Court in Washington D.C. who is considering an identical motion filed by three other prisoners.

"This is quite a statement from a federal judge," said Jon Eisenberg, one of the attorneys who filed the motions. "She said that force feeding violates international law and medical ethics and she has called on President Obama to do something about it, which is really amazing."

Lawyers for prisoners say the most recent hunger strike began in February as a protest of conditions and their indefinite confinement at the U.S. base in Cuba. The military says the hunger strike began in early March and that, as of Monday, 106 of the 166 detainees met the criteria to be declared hunger strikers, a definition that includes missing nine consecutive meals.

Prison medical officials have determined that 45 of the prisoners have lost enough weight that they can be fed liquid nutrients, by force if necessary, with a nasogastric tube to prevent them from starving themselves to death. The U.S. military intends to feed all prisoners, including those on hunger strike, before dawn and after sunset during the Muslim holy period of Ramadan to accommodate the men's religious practices. Military officials have said the feeding process is not painful and only done to prevent any of the men from dying.

Read more Americas Wires stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category