• CODE FOR MIAMI: Every Monday from 7 p.m. - 9 p.m. at the LAB Miami in Wynwood, join developers, designers, data geeks and other idea-makers who volunteer to help government and civic organizations adopt open web technologies.
• WEB SKILLS: How To Drive Traffic To Your Website, a Broward SCORE workshop, is 5-8 p.m. Tuesday, July 10 at ITT Technical Institute. Fee applies. More info: Browardscore.org (click on local workshops)
• OPEN COFFEE CLUB: The first Open Coffee Club, hosted by FIU Global Entrepreneurship Center and MapYourStartup.co at Pipeline Brickell, is 7:30 to 9 a.m. Thursday, July 11. One-on-one mentorship opportunities included. Sign up at meetup.com/Miami-Open-Coffee-Club/. Open Coffee Clubs are planned every three weeks at different locales.
• FINANCING YOUR BUSINESS: This SCORE Miami-Dade workshop, lead by chapter chair Marjorie Weber, is 6 to 8 p.m. on Thursday July 11 at Doral Chamber of Commerce Office. Fee applies. More info: miamidade.score.org (click on local workshops)
• NETWORKING: The Miami chapter of NAWBO, the National Association of Women Business Owners, holds a “Not-Your-Usual Summer Networker” at 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday July 11 at Thea’s Cafe at the UM Life Science & Technology Park. Fee applies. RSVP at Info@nawbomiami.org.
STARTING GATE BLOG
BLAST OFF: Guide, the Miami-based startup with technology to turn consumers’ favorite online news, blogs and social streams into anchored videos, launched its iPad app last week with no fanfare. Within two days, Guide’s app zoomed to No. 1 in the news category.
Also, read about how the Miami Science Museum is inspiring more interest in STEM education on The Starting Gate. Find the guest post and other startup news on the blog on MiamiHerald.com/business.
Nancy Dahlberg @ndahlberg