Miramar man linked to the Aaron Hernandez case to be arraigned

 
 
Miramar Police officers excort Ernest Wallace to a patrol car after Wallace turned himself in at the the Miramar Police Department, Friday, June 28, 2013. Wallace was a fugitive in the Aaron Hernandez case. Taimy Alvarez, South Florida Sun Sentinel
Miramar Police officers excort Ernest Wallace to a patrol car after Wallace turned himself in at the the Miramar Police Department, Friday, June 28, 2013. Wallace was a fugitive in the Aaron Hernandez case. Taimy Alvarez, South Florida Sun Sentinel
Taimy Alvarez / Sun Sentinel

A Miramar man connected to a murder investigation involving former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is scheduled to arraigned Monday in a Massachusetts courtroom.

Ernest Wallace, 41, will be arraigned on a charge of accessory to murder – after the fact in Attleboro District Court. The charge relates to the murder of Odin Lloyd.

Investigators said Wallace and another man, Carlos Ortiz, drove with Hernandez and Lloyd to an industrial park where Lloyd was killed. Ortiz was arrested in the case and later transferred to Massachusetts to face a gun charge.

All three men have ties to Bristol, Connecticut. Hernandez grew up there, Ortiz had been living there and authorities had conflicting addresses for Wallace there and in Miramar. Hernandez pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and was denied bail. Ortiz is being held without bail pending a court hearing on July 9.

Wallace lived in South Florida before 2003 and most of his family still lives in the area, including his mother.

The current case started back on June 16, when prosecutors said Hernandez texted two friends asking them to come from Massachusetts to Connecticut in a hurry. Prosecutors said Hernandez then texted Lloyd telling him he wanted to get together.

Prosecutors said the three men picked up Lloyd around 2:30 a.m. June 17 and drove him to an industrial park near Hernandez’s home and shot him five times. The state has not said who fired the shots.

Since Hernandez’s arrest, an investigation has also heated up looking at Hernandez and a double-murder from 2012. The drive-by shooting last year may have had something to do with Lloyd’s murder this year, according to the Boston Globe. The Globe reported that Lloyd may have had information about Hernandez’s involvement in the 2012 double-murder and that he was possibly ready to implicate Hernandez.

Hernandez also has had a civil suit filed against him in South Florida. The civil suit alleges Hernandez shot a man through the eye after an argument at a Tootsie’s strip club. No criminal charges were filed in the alleged strip club shooting.

Hernandez could face life in prison if convicted.

Read more Broward stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Marketplace

Today's Circulars

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category