OPA-LOCKA

Group sues Opa-locka pastor, leaves church over money

 
 

Pastor Anthony Chevere exits his car July 4, 2013, as he arrives home in Miramar, Fla. The pastor is being sued by members of Anthony Chevere Ministries for monies they claim they let him borrow but he never paid back.
Pastor Anthony Chevere exits his car July 4, 2013, as he arrives home in Miramar, Fla. The pastor is being sued by members of Anthony Chevere Ministries for monies they claim they let him borrow but he never paid back.
C.M. GUERRERO / EL NUEVO HERALD

shiguera@ElNuevoHerald.com

For years, an Opa-locka pastor asked members of his congregation to open up their hearts — and their wallets.

Since December, Anthony Cheverez of the Sanctuary Pentecostal Church has been sued by four women who left his church and claim that they lent him a total of about $20,000.

When an El Nuevo Herald team asked him about the lawsuits he is facing for not repaying thousands of dollars he had borrowed from members of his congregation, Cheverez, 46, who works as a maintenance mechanic at Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), pulled out his wallet and bragged that he was a federal officer — though he never actually showed his ID.

Cheverez refused to comment on the four lawsuits filed by Nery Nancy García, who is disabled, Luz Marina Méndez, who has worked selling hotdogs in the downtown area for almost two decades, Luisa Guerra and Karla Zaldívar.

“I was conned mercilessly by these people,” said García, crying. “This false prophet used the word of God to take our money. And he told us constantly that he was an immigration official.”

An ICE spokeswoman said in an email that Cheverez did not make decisions on immigration policies and their enforcement.

“As public servants working for a law enforcement agency, ICE employees are held to the highest standard of professional and ethical conduct. Allegations of misconduct are treated with the utmost seriousness and routed for appropriate investigation."

For months, the women who filed the lawsuits say they contacted Cheverez and his wife asking for payment of the loans. After receiving no response, they decided to sue.

Bernice Cheverez, the pastor’s wife, who also preaches in the church, said that the lawsuits were filed by people who “want to harm the church.”

Without giving any details, Bernice added that one of the cases had been resolved and they were working to settle another one.

The women used to visit the church at 4300 NW 135 St. However, that location has been closed. According to Bernice, the church moved when the lease expired.

García and Guerra filed lawsuits against the pastor and his wife for payments of $3,500 and $5,000 respectively.

According to García, 65, her first loan to Cheverez was for $500 before December 2011 to help build a new temple for the church.

Two months later, García lent him $6,000 more to organize “Whit Sunday,” a journey commemorating the arrival of the Holy Spirit. García said that Cheverez told the congregation that this event, held on May 26, 2012, would cost about $40,000.

However, several months went by and Cheverez did not repay the money, García said. A Uruguayan who has lived in South Florida for 35 years, García urgently needed the money back because it was part of her brother’s pension, which she managed. Her brother had authorized García to use the money for any necessity.

García began discounting what she was owed directly from the offerings she used to give the church, which settled $3,042 of the $6,500 of the loan. After leaving the church, García sued in December 2012 for the remaining $3,500.

In April, the Miami-Dade court ruled that García was owed $2,900. The rest of the money was considered a donation.

“This has brought me a lot of problems,” García said. “I lost my relationship with my brother, who is justifiably angry. At this moment, I don’t trust anybody. I distanced myself from all churches and now I am under psychological treatment.”

Read more Miami-Dade stories from the Miami Herald

Miami Herald

Join the
Discussion

The Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

The Miami Herald uses Facebook's commenting system. You need to log in with a Facebook account in order to comment. If you have questions about commenting with your Facebook account, click here.

Have a news tip? You can send it anonymously. Click here to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

  • Videos

  • Quick Job Search

Enter Keyword(s) Enter City Select a State Select a Category